Miflex hoses. Anyone used them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi there,

To all you guys and gals that have fitted a miflex reg hose, I have a quick question.

I am thinking of exchanging my standard 28" reg hose for a 30" Miflex reg hose to help overcome the irritating "regulator pull". (I also have a Seacure which has helped). I'm choosing this option over the option of a Atomic Swivel (which looks well made, but is expensive and only really solving the problem of a stiff hose, as far as I can see)
Should I be considering adding an elbow/angled joint as well - or is this not required with the MiFlex??

I though the length increase from 28" to 30" would help too.

Thanks in advance, Chris

Hey Chip,

My wife and I both have them on our reg hose and I would say you would not need any additional elbow/swivel. The Miflex hoses are so flexible you won't even know it's attached to your second stage.

IMO, buy the hose but save your money on any additional hardware.

a thought ..
I have a regular 42" hose routed under my arm and a M&J Engineering swivel (the length is to make air shares easier, cause I donate primary, and I like how the hose routes )
... swivel never moves from it's bent 90* position, it would route just as well with an elbow .. but, I'm thinking that nether would be necessary with a Miflex hose ..

Hi there,

To all you guys and gals that have fitted a miflex reg hose, I have a quick question.

I am thinking of exchanging my standard 28" reg hose for a 30" Miflex reg hose to help overcome the irritating "regulator pull". (I also have a Seacure which has helped). I'm choosing this option over the option of a Atomic Swivel (which looks well made, but is expensive and only really solving the problem of a stiff hose, as far as I can see)
Should I be considering adding an elbow/angled joint as well - or is this not required with the MiFlex??

I though the length increase from 28" to 30" would help too.

Thanks in advance, Chris

Hi Chris,

I can not answer the MiFlex part of your question, but before you replace a 28" for a 30" try different ports on your regulator. Also, try positioning your regulator at different angles. Sometimes people confuse hose PUSH for PULL and adding another 2 inches may actually make things worse. Have your buddy positioned behind you in a pool. When you feel the push or pull happening, signal so he/she can closely examine the problem.

You may also want to consider going to a much longer hose such as a 5 foot or 7 foot and route it like our Hogarthian brethren.

couv

I agree with Couv, in that the solution is not always a longer hose.

A longer hose would logically be more flexible, but you are going to add the flexibility by using the Miflex hose. The routing of the longer hose may actually make it more uncomfortable...it does involve a bit of trial and error to figure it out, but with the Miflex you do get a huge advantage in flexibility and light weight.

Based on my observations, my wife actually went from a 28" regular LP hose to a 26" Miflex hose and she is much happier with it. Her regulator now seems balanced in the middle of her mouth without pulling or pushing in either direction.

Interesting point.

The only problem is, I'm not going to be able to test it before I next go away, by which time it'll be too late to make the hose swap. I'm casting my mind back to my last dive, but I can't recall whether the reg was pulling or pushing. Darn!

Then my best guess would be to get a long (5-7 foot) and short (22 in) MiFlex hose and use the Hog method of routing. If it does not work out, you can always sell it.

c

Interesting point.

The only problem is, I'm not going to be able to test it before I next go away, by which time it'll be too late to make the hose swap. I'm casting my mind back to my last dive, but I can't recall whether the reg was pulling or pushing. Darn!

If you're not interested in change, but only want to solve the problem at hand with as little change possible, just replace your current hose with the same size Miflex hose. Don't change too many variables at once. The added length will not be necessary with the Miflex hose.

Hi there,

my local dive shop has MiFlex hoses in lenghths 75cm (29.5"), 90cm (35.5"), 150cm (60"), 210cm (82.5")

My existing reg length is 28".

Therefore I will go for the 75cm (29.5") as its near enough.

Thanks, Chris

Hi there,

my local dive shop has MiFlex hoses in lenghths 75cm (29.5"), 90cm (35.5"), 150cm (60"), 210cm (82.5")

My existing reg length is 28".

Therefore I will go for the 75cm (29.5") as its near enough.

Thanks, Chris

Yup, that should be fine. Else you can order online (or perhaps your shop can order you another size) from a company that carries more lengths.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom