Miflex hoses. Anyone used them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have replaced the primary hose on my Atomic B2 and the 40" hose to my octopus.
Of course this involved removing the "comfort swivel" and installing a "jam nut" to the second stage.

After a few dives I have found that the hose on the primary is more comfortable than any other 2nd to first stage hose connection I have ever used- significantly more so than the Atomic comfort swivel!

The reg feels lighter in the mouth and there is almost no torque effect when turning my head side to side or looking up or down.

The octopus hose on the other hand seems a little more prone to snagging on my rig when donating than the normal hose, otherwise it works well.

IMO there is probably not much to gain by changing all your LP hoses to Miflex extreme hoses.
I would leave the inflator and octopus as is.

But I predict that eventually everyone will be changing their primary hoses, and manufacturers will probably follow suit because the typical recreational setup of a 30" hose from 1st to 2nd stage is a LOT more comfortable with the miflex hose.

IMO there is probably not much to gain by changing all your LP hoses to Miflex extreme hoses.
I would leave the inflator and octopus as is.

Actually, I like changing the inflator hose almost as much as changing the reg hoses.

Not because it's any better or worse when you're in the water, but because the LP inflator hose is the one I see nearly all the time is not quite the correct length, and as a result you end up with a sharply bent section of hose at the back end of the inflator, where the hose has to curve abruptly to get to whereever the LP port for it is on a given reg. With a regular rubber hose, this tight(ish) bend is pretty bad for the hose. The Miflex, however, shrugs it off.

Actually, I like changing the inflator hose almost as much as changing the reg hoses.

Not because it's any better or worse when you're in the water, but because the LP inflator hose is the one I see nearly all the time is not quite the correct length, and as a result you end up with a sharply bent section of hose at the back end of the inflator, where the hose has to curve abruptly to get to whereever the LP port for it is on a given reg. With a regular rubber hose, this tight(ish) bend is pretty bad for the hose. The Miflex, however, shrugs it off.

Good point, however luckily the length of my LP inflator hose seems to be well matched to the length of the inflator (Mach V wing) and the thing I personally like more about the rigid rubber hose is that it tends to hold the inflator in one place- I instinctively reach for it and it's there!
Having said that the Miflex hoses are going to be more forgiving regards placement and length and more adaptable to a variety of gear configurations due to their flexibility and resistance to crimping.

One other point I have found in their favor is that the hoses coil up really well and the whole regulator set stows much easier and neater into a small carry on bag for airline travel!

Well... it seems like I'm always the odd one out. I just got in one of these hoses that I was going to put on a recreational rig I have. Upon first inspection, I have to say there isn't much about the hose that I like.

I absolutely do not like the fabric of the outer jacket. It will collect dirt, sand, bacteria, get snaged, whatever. And, it will probably be impossible to keep a clean appearance.

I'm the first on that wanted a small diameter and flexible hose (I won't buy most of 'fat' hoses.), but this thing is unnatural and moves in ways that hoses should not move. It allows the second stage flop and invert when clipped off.

This thing may be okay for a recreational rig, or where jaw fatigue is a problem, but I definitely wouldn't use one for anything technical.

Well... it seems like I'm always the odd one out. I just got in one of these hoses that I was going to put on a recreational rig I have. Upon first inspection, I have to say there isn't much about the hose that I like.

I absolutely do not like the fabric of the outer jacket. It will collect dirt, sand, bacteria, get snaged, whatever. And, it will probably be impossible to keep a clean appearance.

I'm the first on that wanted a small diameter and flexible hose (I won't buy most of 'fat' hoses.), but this thing is unnatural and moves in ways that hoses should not move. It allows the second stage flop and invert when clipped off.

This thing may be okay for a recreational rig, or where jaw fatigue is a problem, but I definitely wouldn't use one for anything technical.
Have you actually used the hose(s) yet, or just had your "first inspection"? I've completely switched over my singles and doubles rigs and have about 40 to 50 dives on them with virtually none of the problems you describe above (with the possible exception of collecting bacteria, I've not done a microscopic analysis...:D).

Agreed...also, some single stages require some rather bendy LP inflator hose routings.

Have you actually used the hose(s) yet, or just had your "first inspection"? I've completely switched over my singles and doubles rigs and have about 40 to 50 dives on them with virtually none of the problems you describe above (with the possible exception of collecting bacteria, I've not done a microscopic analysis...:D).

No I haven't dove it yet and may not ever. I'm debating sending it back from where it came. Or, as little as I use my recreational rig, I may just live with it on that one rig. I'm not totally decided on that.

It may be just my first impression, but I know what I like when it comes to dive gear. I won't be buying any more of them (and may not ever actually use this one).

Microscopic analysis... that's funny! :D I guess it won't be any worse than the cloth of a wing. But, I also noticed that it doesn't slide easily like the smooth rubber hoses do either. I can see this thing getting snagged on something sharp while I'm inside a wreck and I just don't see a need for it, so why go there.

I just changed out my reg hose with one of these and really like it, on the few dives I have made that was one of my complaints that it felt like there was side pressure on the reg! I plan to go ahead and change out my inflator hose on my air two next.

Microscopic analysis... that's funny! :D I guess it won't be any worse than the cloth of a wing. But, I also noticed that it doesn't slide easily like the smooth rubber hoses do either. I can see this thing getting snagged on something sharp while I'm inside a wreck and I just don't see a need for it, so why go there.

You may want to give it a shot before completely rejecting it, but it's up to you... we're not going to force anything on you. :)

The hose stays as clean or cleaner than a rubber hose, in actual use. The dirt issues you cited as worries simply aren't a concern.

It does move differently than a rubber hose. Not in any way I consider problematic, but ... differently. It took me a whole dive or two to get used to it, though.

As for sliding, actually, the "slipperiness" of the hoses is pretty much the only issue I have with them. My long hose doesn't stay tucked in under my can light quite as well as the rubber ones, simply because the Miflex hose is so much more slippery than rubber hoses. For every other hose this is a virtue, but it's the one thing that annoys me on occasion with the long hose.

As for something sharp... I'd submit that these hoses are actually quite a bit more cut and snag-resistant than a rubber hose. They're really strong, and less likely to submit to a slice than a rubber hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom