Miflex HP failure (again!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After reading so many reports of the Miflex HP failure I contacted Miflex, they sent me some "strain relief sleeves" wasn't convinced, swapped out to a Phantom HP no issues to date and none heard of. The Phantom has an added advantage being the ability to actually swivel the SPG, on the Miflex once pressurized it was stuck, so always had to position prior to turning gas on it was annoying.

Miflex HP Hose Failure

Hvr4fun I'm curious:
Was your Miflex HP hose of the older or newer style? And where on the hose did it blow out? The older style has fully visible metal ferrules (where the hose enters the fittings on each end), whereas the newer one is (supposedly) improved by having rubber/plastic strain-relief boots covering the ferrule. I'm curious if that has affected the rate of blow-out.

Here is the older style:
View attachment 101131

And the newer:
View attachment 101132

Thanks for the photos for comparison. This was the older style hose which failed at a single point 3/4 down the length of the hose. I brought it to the attention of XSScuba (US Distributer for Miflex), they gave me a RMA and will replace it at no charge. Since this was on older style I'll give them another try. After some reading I also learned that a HP hose failure underwater is not as bad as a LP hose failure. Even at 90' with a full tank I'm to understand I would have had easily 5+ minutes of air to make contact with my buddy or made a controlled ascent with safety stops.

Thanks for the photos for comparison. This was the older style hose which failed at a single point 3/4 down the length of the hose. I brought it to the attention of XSScuba (US Distributer for Miflex), they gave me a RMA and will replace it at no charge. Since this was on older style I'll give them another try. After some reading I also learned that a HP hose failure underwater is not as bad as a LP hose failure. Even at 90' with a full tank I'm to understand I would have had easily 5+ minutes of air to make contact with my buddy or made a controlled ascent with safety stops.
This is true. The guys at ScubaToys have a good video of cutting both a LP and HP hose, and you can see how long it takes for the HP hose to drain the tank -- essentially forever -- due to the narrow diameter of the HP opening (give the video time -- it's done with a little literary license):

Cutting a Divers Hose

After some reading I also learned that a HP hose failure underwater is not as bad as a LP hose failure. Even at 90' with a full tank I'm to understand I would have had easily 5+ minutes of air to make contact with my buddy or made a controlled ascent with safety stops

That's nice so long as you have a full tank ie the failure occurs at the start of the dive... from 90' ascending at 30' per minute and doing a single 3 minute stop it's going to take you 6 minutes to surface under ideal conditions, assuming you start your ascent immediately. Does your 5+ minutes of gas include having a stressed diver breathing the tank for 6+ minutes?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom