Minimalist divers..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In warm water, 3-to-5mm wetsuit, properly weighted, BC is optional. I just began using a BC (and now BP/W) when I returned to diving 2 years ago. Also did not have octo until 2 years ago.

This might be a silly question but if you where to dive without a BC or Wing what could you use to hold the tank a back plate? or like an older plastic harness with steel bands? Any pics of setups?

Yeah, just a backplate and harness and tank and reg,no wing, no octo,and just enough weight to be neutrally bouyant, no more and no less. And a bottom timer.
Using your tables before the dive to know how long you can stay under for.
Thats minimalist diving.

MonkeyDiveHawaii.jpg

All the best, James

For an enclosed shallow site:

Tank, regulator, mask, bootie/fins, SPG, timer, backplate, small knife. And swimming trunks.

Most salt water dives are not enclosed and I will also have an DSMB, spool and light.

Tank, regulator, mask, fins, weight belt (if needed), trunks, speargun.

Poog:coffee:

This might be a silly question but if you where to dive without a BC or Wing what could you use to hold the tank a back plate? or like an older plastic harness with steel bands? Any pics of setups?

There are a couple of options, either a 60-70's plastic BP with steel bands (or camband) or just use a simple harness with steel bands (the way it was done in the 50's and early 60's) Here are some examples of reproductions of the harnesses. Harness/Bands : Vintage Double Hose!, Your online source for all things related to vintage diving

Both methods work very well.

This is all you need + mask, fins and maybe weight belt.

Attachments

• DSC01411.jpg
    DSC01411.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 91
Would some of you minimalists post the absolute minimum amount of gear which you dive with, primarily in warm salt water? No philisophical discussions about DIR, HOG, etc. to show your brainy expertise and no hijacks. Just a list of the things you wear when diving minimalist. Thank you.

I don't know why a troll symbol is on this thread, I suppose because whenever a topic goes against rhe grain it is given an automatic troll symbol?

I will and do dive:

tank
harness
spg
double hose regulator
knife, big and sharp and pointy
mask
fins
computer (or depth gauge, watch)
compass (sometimes optional)
weight belt to suit needs

Optional:

sausage, spool and signal mirror
shore dive I may add a float, flag, optional surface float (inner tube, kayak etc)

With this equipment I will dive to any depth I have air for in any place I can get away with and do it solo.

DSCF0103-1.jpg

What else might one need?

N<-----zen minimalism

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom