MINIMUM Depth to Log Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I log all of my dives except my pool dives. I f soemthing happens in a pool dove then I will log it other wise I don't. I use my log as a reference. I keep up with my air consumption, Weight used, Tanks used, and so on and so forth. Thats just my 0.02

This is from the PADI instructor's manual:​

4. For training purposes, an

open water dive is a dive during which a student
diver spends the majority of time at a depth of at least 5 metres/15 feet

and:

a. breathes at least 1400 litres or 50 cubic feet of compressed gas.

OR

b. remains submerged for at least 20 minutes.​

General Standards; Training Standards; Open Water Training;page 10

I knew all this studying must be for something.

I didn't know about the PADI 20 minute dive parameter, but I have always used 20 minutes myself. Twenty minutes can be the longest I can stand on certain dives with very cold water...or very deep. Either way, after shivering until my hands could function enough to write in my log...I feel I have the rite to call it a dive! Doesn't matter how deep at that point, but certainly under 15 feet.

Side note: My computer recycles into the next dive after a 10 minute surface interval...

talonraid:
YES! I Hear Ye... er Thou or is it Thy?

That is too funny! I like it. A quote direct from the book of ClayJar! The first useful book on religion, or SCUBA diving.

COuld it be THINE?:confused:

My rule is: I get wet, I breath compressed gas, its a dive. I count it. I count if for repetive dive purposes, and log it.

Only use for a log for me, other that as a personal record, is for the medics if I get in trouble. I want them to have a complete record.

waynel:
The only related activities underwater are snorkeling, holding your breath or drowning.

So every time that you drown, you log it as a dive? I think that that is a violation of standards, and I am going to report you.

Intrigued by this thread..

Why, well I have 26 logged dives since OW, but dont consider myself a diver yet.

Why, well all but 6 were in Houston lakes and quarries,,nothing below 30 feet..

And the 6 in Mexico werent much deeper.but did have currents..

Said lady is advanced..and has rescue etc..but we have this debate, and is which I wanted to add to this post.

Point One..if I was still in Texas..I could log another heap of dives..in Lakes..and never get below 30 feet!

Point two..and this is the reason for the post..we have an invite to visit a hyperbaric chamber in Amsterdam which sounds like fun and a great learning experience.

But part of the marketing..is when we do our session in the chamber..we can actually log it as a dive!

Soo.. while I'm quite excited to get narked in a safe environment..and equally interested in what these guys have to say..I am not sure it qualifies for my dive log!

Opinons please..do I log it?

As many of the other members have said, "Its your dive log, log what you what".

As for me, anything but a pool dive is logged. I have one dive that I did in a lagoon, it was 8 feet deep and I was in for about an hour.......:D

My log book is used to record what I saw, where I saw it, and when I saw it. I also log all that tech. stuff; air used, weight used, gear used, SAC rate.........

I logged an educational chamber "dive" to 200 ft that lasted 188 minutes IIRC. There were four of us, two buckets of water and about 8 dive computers of various makes submerged in the buckets. I spent the time comparing and recording what my 3 dive computers were doing during the ride, unaffected, of course, by any feelings of narcosis :D

scottg_houston:
Point two..and this is the reason for the post..we have an invite to visit a hyperbaric chamber in Amsterdam which sounds like fun and a great learning experience.

Opinons please..do I log it?

I'd record the chamber ride in my log, but I would not number it or add the time to my dive time.

I also record the pool sessions, but these are clearly marked, not numbered, and the times do not roll into the dive times. I log the pool stuff so I can remember when I last did certain drills. Plus, if I find myself in Florida in say a 11 days, my log shows I've at least had my gear on underwater and have a chance to remember how to use it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom