Missing Diver at Lake Pleasant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

new divers ,short classes' and ebay gear , diving above your skill set and they call it an accident

maybe not in this case but in a lot of cases i see on the rec side

ill pray they find him and the rescuers are safe in the search

after reading all of these posts my prayers are with Tim's family it is evident that most of you have no clue what your talking about. Jumping to conclutions is not helpful to anyone especially for Tim's family. I have dove the dam as a tec diver and recreational diver in all vis conditions lake levels and temps. Anyone who has dove the dam repeatedly know's the vis is better at the dam more often than at the shore. All divers are trained to surface after one minute of seperation from buddy or instructor this is taught in class befor entering the pool. No one knows why this did not accure with Tim something must have prevented it.Please stop guessing and pointing fingers.

Is that standard procedure to send a diver learning nav off alone especially a new diver? How is that usually taught and tested?

Not alone, but as buddy teams, it is within standards.

Is that standard procedure to send a diver learning nav off alone especially a new diver? How is that usually taught and tested?

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply he WAS alone, only that in dark, murky water one may lose sight in only a second.

I cannot imagine the anguish of his buddy . . . prayers for him/her that s/he finds God's Peace.

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply he WAS alone, only that in dark, murky water one may lose sight in only a second.

I cannot imagine the anguish of his buddy . . . prayers for him that he find God's Peace.

Thank for the clarification Jax/Snacks. Perhaps I was reading too much into it. I guess I was thinking that since no one noticed until after everyone had been up for a few minutes that he was gone that he had been diving solo practicing. Maybe I need to go back and reread the first part of the thread. It is all very sad.

When I did my navigation course, the instructor was with me the entire time.

Really? We were sent off in buddy teams. Of course, it was a max 12' depth and a shore dive. We would have had to go about 1/2 mile to get deeper.

Mine didn't get wet for that dive, but the viz wasn't bad - and the Aow course was a joke.

To my knowledge, there is very little public detail available regarding the status of the dive, whether it was a "recreational dive with buddy" or a training dive with an instructor/dive professional. I would hesitate strongly to make any suggestion that it was "in fact" a training dive and jump to conclusions.

Assuming by the following that the diver was doing a PADI training dive, and taken from the PADI 2010 Instructor Manual:

Supervision - Advanced Adventure Section
General — Indirect supervision allowed for dives conducted to 18 metres/60 feet or less. Direct supervision required for dives conducted deeper than 18 metres/60 feet, unless all divers have completed the Deep Adventure Dive. Supervision may vary by dive. Check Section Three for information specifi c to each Adventure Dive.

Levels of Supervision - General Standards Section
1. Direct Supervision – Observe and evaluate student diver ability to perform skills and understand theoretical knowledge. Do not delegate this responsibility to certified assistants except as outlined in specific course standards or professional membership standards.

2. Indirect Supervision – a. Dive site: Be present and in control of the activities,
but not necessarily directly supervising all activities. Approve dive activities, oversee the planning, preparation, equipment inspections, entries, exits and debriefings and be prepared to quickly enter the water.

Side Note (not from Instructor Manual): Conditions always throttle (down) the use of certified assistant versus direct control, depths and ratios.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom