Missing Diver at Lake Pleasant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nobody has stated that the instructor was following the guidlines stated. I have seen some classes at the lake that I would not consider "by the book" I have also seen instructors leave students due to the fact she was to cold to finish the dive.

A question for the instructors --

Is a navigation certification dive a dive requiring "direct" or "indirect" supervision?

The navigation specialty course only requires indirect supervision. The navigation course I took years ago, my instructor never got in the water. In fact, even during my AOW, my instructor only got in the water during the deep dive. The rest of the dives merely consisted of briefing and debriefing. This was/is the encouraged practice by that dive shop (located in Tucson).

Personally, I don't believe in this practice. I can't evaluate my students properly unless I'm in the water with them. And one of the things I focus on during all training dives is buoyancy and trim. I can't fix buoyancy and trim from a post dive debriefing. I always get in the water with my students. But that's just me.

:hm: With the exception of attentiveness to buoyancy and trim, I don't see what an instructor could do accompanying students in navigation.

In our case, one team went east first, and our team when west first. We had to note something at each turn point, and come back in within 10 yards of where we went in. The two teams had 'mirrored' patterns.

One of the things is to ensure the students do come back within the specified distance. Sure this can somewhat be done from the surface by bubble watching, but I like to actually set up underwater points of reference and see what the students do when they don't make it back to the starting point. During the last dive of the navigation course, I also set up a course with headings. The students start at the first marker, head in the direction noted on the marker, get their next heading at marker 2 and head in that direction, and so on. Can't do this without being in the water to set the markers. Besides, I just like diving. I became an instructor because I like to dive, not because I like to watch bubbles. Even if it's just a navigation course in 25 feet of water, it's still diving.

One of the things is to ensure the students do come back within the specified distance. Sure this can somewhat be done from the surface by bubble watching, but I like to actually set up underwater points of reference and see what the students do when they don't make it back to the starting point. During the last dive of the navigation course, I also set up a course with headings. The students start at the first marker, head in the direction noted on the marker, get their next heading at marker 2 and head in that direction, and so on. Can't do this without being in the water to set the markers. Besides, I just like diving. I became an instructor because I like to dive, not because I like to watch bubbles. Even if it's just a navigation course in 25 feet of water, it's still diving.

+1!

And you seem to like teaching / mentoring!:)

when i do indirect sup on nav dive i require all to use a buoy i tell them it is so i can track them but really as an inst it makes me feel better they have a line to the surface and i can locate the lsp if need i hope it is never needed

I do the same.

My daughter certified OW with an SSI instructor who was very thorough in explaining navigation. She daughter learned how to use the compass to figure reciprocal headings, kick-cycles and to recognize and utilize land marks and depth for navigation. Most of the stuff she learned was in the AOW book on navigation I used (PADI). My daughter was 10 at the time of her OW and maybe thats the reason for the extended info but Im grateful for her getting that type of training. When they navigated the lake (Pleasant) she was there the entire time within inches (again probably age). I took my AOW in Hawaii and for the navigation I had to swim a 400 kick-cycle square (100ks N, 100ks W, 100ks S, 100ks E) and end up back at the mooring line. The instructor waited for me at the line - he was in the water, but I swam alone. It seemed silly at the time because the viz was over 80 feet but when I'm in the lake doing a summer dive, Im glad I learned the skill.

Do any of you read befor you comment his friend on the east coast who was going to dive the blue hole with Tim said he had finished his Advanced Open Water. He also said he was working on more certs. Again you are guessing and possibly hurting Tims family with these uneducated guesses. Borger family please dont put much stock in these peoples opinions if these people were pro's or experts they would stop guessing and pray for your comfort . My family pray's for you and wishes you well may you find comfort with our Lord.

Back
Top Bottom