Missing divers in Sharm el Sheikh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Linda , I just came back from Sharm Elshaikh a week ago , whilst I was there for 2 months I heard the sad story of Kiko ( the Italian instructor and his advanced student ) here is some info I heard there from lots of divers : The site they were missing In is White night it is concidered a local dive site and it is suppose to be easy .. There was lots of searching operations to comb the site and check the caves in the reef of that site . Also a robot was sent deep to 250 meters but no luck . Some of my friends with the families of the missing divers held a ceremony on the beach for the missing divers . This is what I ave heard when I was there I will be glad to provide you with some phone numbers of divers there if you wish to contact for more details ..
Sharm diver .

Hello Sharmdiver,
Thank you for this information. At the moment, Kiko's sister and a friend of mine are in Sharm trying to keep some sort of effort going to find the divers (bodies assumed now). If there is anyone in Sharm that you would suggest my friend should contact, please let me know and I wil forwrd the information to her, perhaps best done as a private message? My friend is a dive master and has also worked with Kiko during her time in Sharm before she moved to Komodo, they were indeed good friends which is why she has gone back with Kiko's sister. Sad time.

We did our o/w here 4 weeks before this tradgedy and are hopefully going back in 3 weeks but are very apprehensive as this appears to be a real mystery. I feel really sorry for the relatives having no answers.

There is no reason to be apprehensive about diving in sharm based on this incident.
With the ammount of dives thats done there every day of every week of every year tragic accidents are unavoidable.
That might sound harsh and maybe "resigned" but the fact of the matter is that although all mentally healthy divers try to minimize the risk of whatever dive theire making you also have to realize that you are in an enviroment where you cannot function without equipment.

I agree - please don't be apprehensive about diving here based on this incident....

It is, of course, tragic for all concerned, and I know a lot of people who knew Kiko, although I personally only met him in passing. The discussion about his disappearance cropped up in pub conversation a couple of days ago and nobody is any the wiser. The search and recovery teams (both technical divers and a limited ROV search) have been and gone and there is, realistically, nothing that anybody can do now until some some of evidence comes to light.

For me - it still smacks of foul play somehow, but there's no proof of anything. He was a popular guy, lots of people miss him, but sadly, the case is closed as "unsolved" until some new evidence comes to light.

With respect,

Crowley

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom