Mixing OMS and DSS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, I made the mistake of assuming you already had a plate. If you go with a full setup from DSS I'm sure you'll be happy, I've heard nothing but good things.

Where the hell do I find a GOOD harness haha?

I would really suggest you start with a single piece webbing harness. You'll be surprised. If you don't like it, you can sell it for almost the same price as you paid for it and get a "deluxe" harness. Dive rite makes one with quick releases, a sternum strap, and no shoulder pads. It was my first harness; I used it for a couple of weeks and then switched to the one piece webbing.

Really, unless something about you is really unusual, a 30 lb wing will suffice for cold water, single tank diving. Buying a wing that's bigger than you need is just going to make it more difficult to vent.

I'd also recommend trying the simple harness. You'll save a lot of money, and if you really find you want or need releases, it's a pretty simple matter to take the harness to a shoemaker and have a Fastex buckle put in on one side or the other. It does limit the adjustability of the harness, however, and everyone I know that has tried this has gone back to the simple harness after a while.

A chest strap is really superfluous with a backplate setup. If you find the shoulder straps are trying to slip off your shoulders, cross the straps behind your neck when you set the rig up (which is how mine is done). They won't slip off then!

mattboy, Blue892 thank you both.

After reading what you posted Blue892 it makes sense. Now here's my problem... Where the hell do I find a GOOD harness haha? So I think this is what I'd like Blue982... something that looks like this:
bp-133.jpg
only without the shoulder pads. I like having those quick release clips under the arms. In my area I do mainly cold water diving with a drysuit. It makes it nice when taking the harness off.

I have a DSS set up and just took off the One piece harness in favor of a diverite transplate harness which looks like the one above.I wanted to be comfortable in and out of the water. I can't imagine a D-ring or 2 extra "getting in the way"

I have a DSS set up and just took off the One piece harness in favor of a diverite transplate harness which looks like the one above.I wanted to be comfortable in and out of the water. I can't imagine a D-ring or 2 extra "getting in the way"

Why didn't you get the quick adjustable harness from DSS?

bought used from a SB member :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom