MK16 with ATX50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BDub

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Does anyone have any feedback or experience on how this combination performs?

I know the IP for the Apeks is typically 130-138 and Scubapro is typically in the 125-145 range.

Has anyone tried this setup? How did it perform?

Thanks

WN

wingnut:
Does anyone have any feedback or experience on how this combination performs?

I know the IP for the Apeks is typically 130-138 and Scubapro is typically in the 125-145 range.

Has anyone tried this setup? How did it perform?

Thanks

WN

I don't understand what benefit there would be to using the ScubaPro first stage over the Apeks. The Apeks T20 first stage without the typical double diaphragm system is very similar to the MK16 in design. The factory recommended IP setting is set for different variables in the reg system. One purchasing a TX/ATX50 would typically go with either the Apeks DS4 or DST first stage, but any would work fine.

Greg

Greg-
I simply have an extra MK16 1st stage, and an ATX50 2nd and was considering whether that setup would work for my single tank diving or if I should get another DS4 or another SP 2nd stage.

wingnut:
Greg-
I simply have an extra MK16 1st stage, and an ATX50 2nd and was considering whether that setup would work for my single tank diving or if I should get another DS4 or another SP 2nd stage.

In that case...It would work fine, and save you a considerable amount of money. I would have the second stage adjusted to match the IP of the first stage. The correct setting should be that the second stage lightly free flows with the effort adjustment out to the full counter clockwise position. This will relieve pressure on the 2nd stage poppet seat when in the stored position. It should take one full turn clockwise on the ATX50 to eliminate any gas leakage. I would suggest setting the MK16 to 135psi. +-5psi to match the recommended IP for the Apeks 2nd stage.

Greg

Greg Barlow:
In that case...It would work fine, and save you a considerable amount of money. I would have the second stage adjusted to match the IP of the first stage. The correct setting should be that the second stage lightly free flows with the effort adjustment out to the full counter clockwise position. This will relieve pressure on the 2nd stage poppet seat when in the stored position. It should take one full turn clockwise on the ATX50 to eliminate any gas leakage. I would suggest setting the MK16 to 135psi. +-5psi to match the recommended IP for the Apeks 2nd stage.

Greg

Yeah I would second the idea to match the IP with that of the Apeks. I don't think that diaphragm first stages usually have that big of an IP range.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom