Mk25/A700 making huge noise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

golf_bht

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just brought my Mk25/A700 reg. It is making huge amount of noise. it sound like diaphragm resonating. is this normal with this model of reg? Normally can I get a refund or replacement in this case? my instructor S 600 never make such noise.

is this before you get it wet? if so I get this all the time and the noise stops as soon as I start the dive

Welcome to the board.
If you mean above water, it's not uncommon for a second stage to make noises. I have a Seaquest that sounds like a pissed off duck above water, great breather underwater- quiet too. It's anoying but otherwise nothing to worry about. If it really bothers you, your tech may be able to tweek it a bit to quiet it up.

If is a "honking" angry duck or goose noise from the second stage it is probably just the dipahragm resonating. If so it should stop in the water and usually will resolve over time as the diaphragm settles into position and more or less unstresses itself over a few dives. As Herman states a tech might be able to get it to stop, but it is not usually worth the effort as it is not an issue in the water and often goes away all by itself.

If it is more of a whistling or medium high pitched sound from the hose, it is most likely an issue with inadequate lubrication of the piston stem 0-ring. It is a 10 minute fix for the tech to take it apart, re-lube the o-ring, re-assemble and test the reg.

As for whether this is "common" for the A700, it is hard to say as the A700 is fairly new. At present there are only about 150 that have been shipped to the US so I have yet to see one.

It is not uncommon for a good majority of dry regulators to sound off when they are dry (diaphragm resonance) as you pointed out. Would have to listen to the sound it is making to pinpoint it but, sounds can also originate from the first stage as well if not lubricated properly. I would take it back to the shop where you bought it and let them have a look at it since it is still under warranty.

I have brought this reg based on reviews on the net. this is my first reg on my open water exam trip. it sound ok under the water. above the water, well??? depend on the cycle. inhale sound like angry duck...... exhale sound like whistling or medium high pitched noise.

No one else on this trip got this kind of noise from their reg. That get me a bit paranoid to go under the water for the first time. mikron, t2x and s600 doesn't make this noise out of the box. i wish i settled for something else that doesn't make noises. hopefully those noise will go away soon. i will try to get a refund/replacement from the dealer this weekend.

Would you expect a barbeque grill to work underwater?

A piece of equipment designed to work in one environment, may not function the same in a different environment. Don't forget, you bought the regulator to use underwater.

I have brought this reg based on reviews on the net. this is my first reg on my open water exam trip. it sound ok under the water.

How does it breath underwater? That's the real test.

If I was a new diver, I too would be concerned after dropping a wad of cash on a manufacturers top of the line regulator combo that made noises. However, most seasoned divers will tell you regulators will sometimes honk/squeal/flutter/<insert funny noise here> when they're topside. Give your shop the opportunity to check/tune it before returning.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

I agree with the folks above: The regulator was purchased for UW use. I would test it prior to making a dive as part of a buddy check. It should not concern you that it flutters. I have a D400 which does the same thing. Even my S600 does it when she does not want to go diving.

I agree with the folks above: The regulator was purchased for UW use. I would test it prior to making a dive as part of a buddy check. It should not concern you that it flutters. I have a D400 which does the same thing. Even my S600 does it when she does not want to go diving.

Everything they said. Some honking above water is normally. Should go away underwater. Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom