Mk25/A700 making huge noise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is terribly dangerous, you should immediately stop using it and send it to me for proper disposal. I'll pay for shipping

I have had mine on about 10 dives so far- nohing strenuous, about 60' max depth, plus some pool sessions. Mine also makes a quite a bit of noise 'on land'. Under water it is better than either my s555, x650 or Delta 4. I have had it tuned about half way between max and min settings and have not had to adjust it at all. Being a SP tech as well I do not see any reason to adjust anything. I have heard other regs make noise on inhalation. It just is a factor of the ease of breathing that it can create a type of venturi effect within the reg.

I have found that while on land if I keep my teeth open wider on the mouthpiece I do not have the noise issue. The positoning of the teeth does seem to create enough of a differnce as to interfere with and change the airflow pattern.

Beyond that, fantastic reg so far. I think my other singles regs are going to get a bit dusty.....:D

Hope this helps,

Hank

I I have had it tuned about half way between max and min settings and have not had to adjust it at all. Being a SP tech as well I do not see any reason to adjust anything. I have heard other regs make noise on inhalation. It just is a factor of the ease of breathing that it can create a type of venturi effect within the reg.

Ummm...did you say you're a SP tech? What do you mean that you have it "tuned halfway...etc" You're supposed to adjust the cracking effort with the inhalation effort knob in the full out (least resistance) position. Maybe you're talking about the VIVA vane? That's not going to affect cracking effort.

The noise has nothing to do with venturi effect. If it's a honking sound it's likely to be the diaphragm resonating, and the whistling sound on inhalation is almost certainly a lubrication issue on the HP piston o-ring on the MK25.

Maybe I've misunderstood what you were saying.

To the OP, take the reg back to the dealer, tell them to fix it. The whistling problem is pretty common, if they don't know what it is, maybe it's time to make friends with a new SP tech.

Ironically, I have never had a honking diaphragm in a 109, which is the ancestor to this reg. Maybe that's because there's that nice rubber cover dampening the diaphragm, or the increased mass/density of the metal case. I always assumed that the honking in my G250s had to do with the plastic case vibrating sympathetically with the diaphragm. That's why I would bring this one back and get an explanation from someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

Thank a lot for every comments. I will have to take my reg to Dive supply Bangkok. will update how it goes.

If it is making odd noises on exhalation then it is almost certainly a diaphragm resonance issue and is a non problem.

No need to let normal new diver paranoia take over.

Mattboy- sorry, bad translation skills- thinking to typing. What I should have said was:
while diving I have the inhalation adjustment knob opened about halfway. This is less than my other regs. The VIVA on this reg is not a vane like on a 295/395 or a 600, it is closest to a 650, and no it would not affect anything that we are discussing here. I have a 17 so there is no whistling, which you pointed out quite correctly, frequently comes from the lubrication on the HP assembly. As regards the honking, having a clear air path (ie, slightly more open mouth) on land dramatically decreases the effect. A more clear air path with least resistance doesn't create any backpressure. As far as the noise, after consulting with two other SP techs there does not seem to be a need to do any adjustments as of now. After a month of dives then we will assess again. As DA states, it really is a non issue.

To the OP, let us know what the outcome is please.

OK I just got enough time for picking up my reg from service. The owner of the shop say that after checking it is normal. the diaphragm in A700 is so soft that resonating is normal. it can't be solve and will stay that way.

I always thought it was the regulator making that noise too (above water), but disapeared as soon as i submerged. I soon discovered it wasnt the regulator at all making the noise, it was my wife. Soon as the divorce was over all the noises stopped!

I always thought it was the regulator making that noise too (above water), but disapeared as soon as i submerged. I soon discovered it wasnt the regulator at all making the noise, it was my wife. Soon as the divorce was over all the noises stopped!

Did you each end up with a D-350?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom