Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Steve,

I am here and watch the board on a regular basis. I have all the underwater video questions forwarded to my inbox, so I get them through emails. You guys are so quick to respond, you amaze me! Thanks for being so vigilant to the Board and even questioning that I am here! You guys ROCK!
Thanks,
Annie

I'm a little curious Annie,

Do you use a MAC and Final Cut to edit like all the other video gurus out there? If I get more serious about doing uw video and editing, are my days numbered with my Dell and Sony Vegas? Say it ain't so.

Ash

Sorry Ash, it is so. If I were using a PC and not a Mac I would seriously look into the Edius and PremierPro NLEs. Also, not sure what kind of ram and video graphics card you may have in your Dell as well as the processor speed. The number of cores in your computer and the amount of good ram is most important and the processor speed comes next in line. I just went from a 3 GHz processor to a 2.66 prosessor but I now have 8 cores and can put in 16 gigs ram though right now it only has 6 gigs ram. - Steve

Steve and Ash, can you clarify what you consider "more serious" ? I am also using a Dell with Sony Vegas. I know Vegas gets little respect in the pro and commercial world, but I am happy with the end results and the ease of the software.

Steve and Ash, can you clarify what you consider "more serious" ? I am also using a Dell with Sony Vegas. I know Vegas gets little respect in the pro and commercial world, but I am happy with the end results and the ease of the software.

Hell Yes! That's what I'm talking about! Damn skippy! I just needed someone to step up and back me on this. It's Sony Vegas all the way baby! :D

Just to let you know Ron, Steve came out for a visit a few weeks ago and dove with me off the coast of NC filming the Sand Tigers. When he was at the house he was kinda looking down on my little Sony Vegas/Dell setup. But now my friend, I have an ally.

Steve, get you a Dell my man and I'll give you my old version of Sony Vegas!

I am very happy with Vegas and I don't think I will out grow it.

I know the pro, semi-pro, commercial side, industry acceptance is important. Plus many times the editing consists of a team, so going with a widely used software is important. But I am just a one man show hobbyist, so I don't really care if they look down on Vegas. I am more concerned what people think of my finished video, not the software I choose to use.

If you want to go commercial, Final Cut or Avid are the most popular.

Right now my computer is a pretty good one. But I will certainly consider a MAC next time I get ready to buy. My wife thinks she really wants one. So if we do get a MAC in the future, I'd probably switch to Final Cut. But that's probably a few years away. Unless of course I hit the lottery. Then I will buy both Steve, Ron, and myself the top of the line MAC and have Steve teach it to us while we are on an around the world tour scuba diving! Steve really is an expert on MAC and I'm sure we could all use the trip!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom