Modifying BP harness for solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kramynot2000

Reaction score
I usually dive doubles when I solo and right now have a one piece harness. I have been toying with the idea of modifying the harness to allow me to get in and out of it a little easier. I know I could go with one of the Dive Rite/Zeagle/OMS harnesses but really don't want to spend the money on that. I found a link to allow a harness extension:

http://www.ukrecscuba.org.uk/ukdiver/harness/Clip_open.jpg

Anyone ever do anything like this or anything similar?

Thanks,
Tony

kramynot2000:
I usually dive doubles when I solo and right now have a one piece harness. I have been toying with the idea of modifying the harness to allow me to get in and out of it a little easier. I know I could go with one of the Dive Rite/Zeagle/OMS harnesses but really don't want to spend the money on that. I found a link to allow a harness extension:

http://www.ukrecscuba.org.uk/ukdiver/harness/Clip_open.jpg

Anyone ever do anything like this or anything similar?

Thanks,
Tony

Tony,

When I re-webbed my harness at the beginning of this season, I added an additional buckle on the left shoulder strap. It's just a weight belt buckle that I had laying around, but it allows me to get out of the gear quickly if I need to. With the old harness, I had to struggle a bit to get it to slip off the sleeves of my drysuit, and I find this much better. Especially if I need to drop the gear in the water. I doubt very much that this is DIR, but it works well for me.

I had one in mine for the last year and just removed it this past weekend because I never used it. I used SS D-ring keepers to secure the QR buckles. I had tried using a wt belt buckle but it tended to slip. I used the SS keepers because I was afraid the wbbing thru the QR buckles would alos slip. I only dive singles so your's will have to support more weight.

kramynot2000:
I usually dive doubles when I solo and right now have a one piece harness. I have been toying with the idea of modifying the harness to allow me to get in and out of it a little easier.
Thanks,
Tony

If you leave the triglide off the left strap where it goes through the bp, you can just pull on the strap and it will slide enough to give you more room, if you feel that is necessary. When you put the rig on, you pull the left waist strap to snug your shoulder.

If you have to get out of the rig FAST, then you carry EMT shears (which you should have anyway).

I never thought about leaving off the tri-glide. I may give that a try.

I have thought about using a weightbelt buckle but I'm afraid of accidentally opening it. I figure with the extension, I'll only open it when I need to.

Anyway, thanks for the comments.

Tony

A stainless steel weight belt buckle on the left shoulder strap was pretty much standard on harnesses when I started diving in the early 80's and I have never had one come loose.

Even if it did, the BP/wing is not going anywhere with the right strap and waist belt still buckled and the weight belt buckle is easy to re-secure under water. I used to place mine on the lower portion of the strap however as it was out of the way and less likely to snag anything.

I currently use a pivot ring "deluxe" harness with the fastex style plastic quick release and it has also caused no problems. The pivot ring harness is nice as the chest strap can be used to take up any extra slack so the harness can be used with exposure protection ranging from a drysuit to a t-shirt with no need to readjust the straps. And it is in my opinion more comfortable as it keep the straps away from the arms.

DA Aquamaster:
Even if it did, the BP/wing is not going anywhere with the right strap and waist belt still buckled and the weight belt buckle is easy to re-secure under water. I used to place mine on the lower portion of the strap however as it was out of the way and less likely to snag anything.

Very good point, I forgot to think about the other straps still being attached. I just thought that maybe I'll combine the two methods and use a weight belt buckle and have continuous webbing like in that first picture I showed. I'll have to expiriment with this.

MechDiver:
If you leave the triglide off the left strap where it goes through the bp, you can just pull on the strap and it will slide enough to give you more room, if you feel that is necessary. When you put the rig on, you pull the left waist strap to snug your shoulder.

If you have to get out of the rig FAST, then you carry EMT shears (which you should have anyway).

Here's another version: put the tri-glides on the strap side of the BP. They still keep everything from riding up but when you release the belt you get whatever slack there is between the BP and D-ring. (Because my slots are really large, I use two. One is only half threaded and perpendicular to the other) Does anyone else do this? It works great.

Back
Top Bottom