Modifying fins, cutting, trimming etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John, I've been thinking about your modifications to other fin designs. The only time I ever tried to improve a Flat fin design was with a Force Fin Winglet kit.
14wingsusdivers_be.jpg

You could improve your fins performance considerably and have control over power with three gear settings. All this could be done easily while in the water.

Bob,

Thanks for the photos, and the links on your site to the Ocean Society. I think if I were using your winglet kit, I'd get two more and put them higher, to channel more water from the fin's "dead area" toward the tip of the fin. :wink:

'Talk to you soon.

SeaRat

SeaRat,
Thanks for the feedback. I thought about bringing the Variable Thrust Wings further up on the blade as you mention. I designed a prototype and on this particular blade design it worked really well
beffexper_ck.jpg

I also tested our whiskers higher up as you suggested in the dead area and found it to be more efficient at the end of the blade

We found that the leading edges of the Original Force Fin pulled the water into the dead zone. With the longer blade designs like the Extra Force Finand Excellerating Force Fin tried to eliminate the dead zone with the Vortex Generators on the backside of the blade.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom