Modifying gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Howabout my wife's custom poodle jacket?

DSCF0001-5.jpg

DSCF0002-5.jpg

Or converting my DA to a PRAM:

DSCF0004-1.jpg

Or modifying a DIN to fit my MkV clone:

DSCF0008.jpg

Don't even ask, I keep the secret to the flux valve close:

DSCF0268.jpg

Or my "Nemrod Mod" to a STA:

DSCF0269.jpg

Nothing is sacred, all things require modification.

N

I modify gear whenever it won't do what I want it to do without modifications. That runs the gamut from changing things to fit better, changing things so they are less likely to fail to changing things so that they do a different job from what they were designed to do.

This weekend I am modifying an arm mounted strobe to be a floating strobe I can attach to my reel that will float about 6 feet off the bottom so I can more easily locate my reel at the end of a dive.

Just a thought or two.

I find myself frequently modifying my gear. (minor modifications IE: crotch strap) Have you modified your gear, and for what reason?

Because it's there and I can. Whenever I buy something, for diving or not, the first thing I do is take it apart. To use technology without understanding it is no different from depending upon medieval sorcerors.

I took a $390.00 24 Watt HID and mounted a dive knife strap (replaced what is pictured below) to make it hands free like a goodman handle. So now I have a HID that is just about as useful as one that costs $1500.00 for same light output.

24w%20hid%20with%20ghandle.jpg

I also mounted a black light filter for biofluorescent night diving:

darkbuster-black%20light%20filter640.jpg

Dont think ive got a single bit of dive gear i havent modified in some way

I recently dismantled a Mares Mission 3 Puck Console with a hacksaw. I got the unit used for $150 which is way cheaper than I could buy the single computer, compass, PG separately but didn't want to use a console. Sanded the rough edges on what was left of the console and now have a PG, wrist compass and wrist Puck for about $150 including $10 in misc parts for wrist mounting. Took about 30 minutes.

I guess if you're normal or average size or .... You wouldn't have to alter/modify your gear but if you are like me (the size and shape of a medium "at least" Orca, it is required. Nothing "off the rack" fits correctly and or comfortably.

I modified the crap out of a brand new rec wing. I just did a pee valve install on my dry suit, I cut the straps off my compass and drilled bungee mounts, etc.

Modification is good if you have a specific goal in mind.

It sounds like you're ready to join DIR. They spend mor time "configurating" than in the water. Very amusing for the rest of us... he he he

.......a.......

Whoa, you are really anti-DIR. Why?

I have modified nearly every single piece of gear I own. I had a pair of fins where the straps broke, I cut them off, popped a couple holes in them, glued in some metal dowels, and voila! Instant springstrap attachment point. I have reels that I made/modified in the machine shop. My first BC is nearly unrecognizable. Modifying is a good thing, just make sure your buddy knows what's up woth your gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom