Molokini diver operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pyeung429

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all! I'm new to this board, so please bear with me.

I am going to Maui in about a week and want to dive the back wall of Molokini, and was wondering if anybody has recommendations for good diver operators. I'm a recreational diver who HATES cattle dive boats (such as Ed Robinsons -- I've had horrible experience with them in the past). I prefer the smaller, more intimate boats and dive groups. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :D

And btw, for those of you who have dove the back wall before, what are your thoughts? Any comparisons?

Only one boat I'm aware of smaller than E.R. That would be Pro Diver - Not sure about North Shore Explorers ... but they usually go to the North Shore, not Molokini.

Usual recommendations for doing the back wall are Mike Sevryns, B&B Scuba, Ed Robinsons or Pro Divers - None of them go to the backwall on a regular schedule, however all go whenever possible - let them know your preference for the back wall and your experience when you call (they all attempt to schedule days with more advanced divers ... when possible) I've always liked the family atmosphere aboard B&B, but each of the ops has their own special place which they fill well. If an op advertises scheduled backwall dive days I'd be leery of diving with them ... Your best chance of diving the backwall is to schedule multiple days on the same boat - plus most will give you more freedom as they get to know you and see that they don't have to hold your hand.

If you've never dove the backwall it is quite the experience, and while I like diving it, I actually prefer the inner reef area for it's diversity. With vis inside and out of the crater exceeding 200ft on a good day. The backwall however also puts you in the middle of "nothing" which is quite an experience. You can be 100 feet down, look up and see the surface as if you could reach up and touch it, look down and see only blue/deep purple. Most of the life is on the wall (obviously) however there can be large critters (Ulua, Manta, Humpbacks) out in the "blue" -

Personally I like doing the backwall dive watching the other divers - it's a lot of fun.

btw - this is normally done as a drift dive with the beginning of the dive going down to 100-120fsw, then doing a multi-level profile up to about 20-40fsw. And when you do your safety stop on this dive you need to kick away from the wall several hundred feet, so you see ONLY blue on your safety stop - can be loads of fun, but bothers some divers as there will be NO visual reference (nothing even floating in the water on a good day) unless the DM shoots an SMB (which most do).

Aloha, Tim

P.S. Here's a photo from my second or third backwall dive during our ascent ... nice and blue, but not much else ... very peaceful :)

backwall.jpg

Last edited:
As Tim says, none of the operators will guarantee a dive on the back wall. It depends on conditions, and also on who is on the boat. My preference is for Mike Severns, simply because they seem to attract, in general, a more experienced group of divers. But I'd also say my experience with diving the back wall was disappointing. If you have had a chance to dive somewhere else on a wall with a bottom below recreational depths, you've had the back wall experience. The crater is much richer in life -- the big draw of the back wall is having no real bottom below you.

There are only two commercial operators that head to Molokini that run a boat with fewer passengers than Ed Robinson's. They are Pro Diver and Dive & Sea. Dive & Sea *may* have upgraded to a 12/15 pax with the new boat, but I thought it was going to stay a 6 pax.

That said, you'll find that even the boats that carry 12-15 are less cattle-like than the 2-boat combined checkin confusion at ERDA. You might consider Makena Coast Dive Charters or Mike Severns as well.

Alternatively, you can find some locals here on the board that just want to go out and dive, and join us... though we're not likely to find our way to the Backwall -- too many better spots, and that means that somebody needs to stay on the boat when we're down. :D

though we're not likely to find our way to the Backwall -- too many better spots

hm such as? i know the backwall is rated as one of the top dive spots in the United States. I've been to some pretty awesome dive spots in SE Asia, so I'm afraid Molokini won't even compare.

As of last week, North Shore Explorers boat is in dry dock for repairs, so not an option. Lahaina Divers has a regularly scheduled back wall trip (Wednesdays, I think,) but their boats do not fit your description. If you are staying in Lahaina, you might check with Extended Horizons - smaller boat, very experienced crew and captain, I had a ball diving with them though I think they are more Lanai-focused.

I did the back wall with Ed Robinson's. There was only 5 other people when I went out. I have no other experience with the other dive operators as I've only been there once.

hm such as? i know the backwall is rated as one of the top dive spots in the United States. I've been to some pretty awesome dive spots in SE Asia, so I'm afraid Molokini won't even compare.
Correction: the Backwall is rated one of the top US *wall* dives. This is, to my understanding, primarily due to the fact that the US does not have many (or many even mediocre) wall dives.

Frankly, IMO, the Backwall should be near the bottom of one's bucket list. It's a "do once, maybe, before you die... if you've done everything else".

As far as other sites... well, heck... I'd rather do any of our small wrecks (tank, landing craft, 80' tank, F6F Hellcat, St. Anthony, Carthaginian, etc.) than the Backwall. Or most of the near-shore reef dives (especially the 85' Pinnacles). I also have a couple secret spots. :)

kb, Thanks for the opinion the back wall I was thinking of making it my 100th dive, which will most likely fall on my 50th B-day! I will probably go out to Lanai instead. Any way I'm traveling to your great island next week and would love to know where the 85' pinnacle is! I've been diving on Maui a couple of times (20 dives) and had heard rumors of such a dive near La Perouse. Can this be done as a shore dive or do you need a boat? Looking forward to visiting your waters.

JB

Back
Top Bottom