Monastery 4/11/10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, actually I was watching his gauge flash past when he turned it up to read. He was pretty consistently 100psi below me the whole dive. He usually signed to me when I asked, but he never asked me (although I responded with mine every time I checked his).

Yep, there are definitely going to be fireworks on this one.

With your courses so close together it sounds like you haven't been able to build up enough practical experience with the skills discussed in the classes.

Sounds like this was a wake up call for you. At the end of the day both parties came out alive but it was more luck and condition then anything else. Reading this honestly gave me shivers as I thought of the 'what ifs'.

A good, honest write up and self-assessment. Sounds like you've thought a lot about what happened and your responses/reasoning, and those lessons are the ones that tend to stick. Re descending again, given you assessed the guy was on the edge, I'd probably say no even though swimming under the kelp is easier. It doesn't sound to me as if he was in any mood to re-descend in any case.

I would just say that it's always a good idea to take a bearing, not just back to the beach, but also to the nearest kelp edge if that's different, and write them down. I also note the direction of the sun at the start of the dive; I have spots permanently reserved on my wrist slate to note all of these. I can recall occasions at S. Monastery where it came in handy to be able to exit to the side in much less time, then follow the kelp edge in.

Thanks again for your honesty.

Guy

I taught scuba three decades ago at UCSC - your experiences at Monastery Beach remind me of the good ole' days. Monastery Beach can be PITA from a number of perspectives. Also - Stuff happens. As per direct supervision...not really as you are already certified and from your description wasn't a sanctioned UCSC dive experience.

BTW - UCSC NAUI program was pretty top-notch at the time.

X

As per direct supervision...not really as you are already certified and from your description wasn't a sanctioned UCSC dive experience.
If you read the original post carefully, you'll see that for the problem diver this was AOW Class Dive #3 (unless I completely misunderstood).

The OP is already certified and didn't require supervision...but since the problem diver was enrolled in the AOW Class, and this was being counted as an instructional dive, it makes sense that an instructor and/or DM should have been there for direct supervision.

If you read the original post carefully, you'll see that for the problem diver this was AOW Class Dive #3 (unless I completely misunderstood).

The OP is already certified and didn't require supervision...but since the problem diver was enrolled in the AOW Class, and this was being counted as an instructional dive, it makes sense that an instructor and/or DM should have been there for direct supervision.

You're right. I thought he was diving with an already certified AOW diver on an independent dive vs. with the program. That being said Monastery Beach was never a favorite dive locale. I've seen numerous "not nice" stuff happen there. For newbies I think there are far better places to dive in Monterey.

X

Okay sorry, that was ridiculously long.

Seen worse. Nice story by the way.

The story did, however wear me out, so I have not read all the comments... which I assume are excellent.

A couple of suggestions:

1. Talk to your buddy before the dive and make sure just how experienced he is. Weighting conversation is always an excellent topic.

2. Agree on turn around point... agree on how the return will go... agree on a gear check when you first get down... look for leaks.. have him look for leaks.

3. At the first sign of BOBO the clown behavior...abort the dive.... or do the dive in one spot.

4. If you are not going to abort the dive, and leaving him is not a good option (shore dive in kelp is usually a bad place to do that), then make the dive really, really easy.

Note: In calm enough conditions, I write in the sand for the way back... makes the return easy and takes time.

On the surface, I think you did fine. You panic, and he will go over the edge... you act calm and at least he will not get worse (usually). I like to get close and be very comfortable and in their face. Been known to talk about almost anything.. had a nice car conversation once with a diver near panic.

The second dive :shakehead:

Back
Top Bottom