Monkey diving in Croatia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pisoiu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Few weeks ago I finished a good holiday in Croatia, in Umag area. I took some dives with local dive centers, but I also did a lot of snorkeling in a wild place with nice waters and very few people around. No clubs/hotels on the beach/etc., just virgin shores. I would have loved to do some monkey diving there, just with a sidemount bcd and a small tank, like 40cuft, not deeper than 3-4 meters, near the shore.
I am not sure about 'de facto' status of such activities in Croatia. I know a bit about local regulations, about that 300-ish eur permit required to dive there. But that permit is valid for a year, and to be honest is too much if all I want are 3-4 monkey dives during my holiday week... Are such activities tolerated or the police is very strict? Are they present around shores? I never saw a police officer there but well, they may not wearing uniform. Any advice? Thank you.

Few weeks ago I finished a good holiday in Croatia, in Umag area. I took some dives with local dive centers, but I also did a lot of snorkeling in a wild place with nice waters and very few people around. No clubs/hotels on the beach/etc., just virgin shores. I would have loved to do some monkey diving there, just with a sidemount bcd and a small tank, like 40cuft, not deeper than 3-4 meters, near the shore.
I am not sure about 'de facto' status of such activities in Croatia. I know a bit about local regulations, about that 300-ish eur permit required to dive there. But that permit is valid for a year, and to be honest is too much if all I want are 3-4 monkey dives during my holiday week... Are such activities tolerated or the police is very strict? Are they present around shores? I never saw a police officer there but well, they may not wearing uniform. Any advice? Thank you.
Have you tried posting on one of the European sub forums (East/Central Europe)? I never hear that term and was expecting a video of a monkey on scuba.

:), sidemount diving with one cylinder.
Thanks, maybe I will try some sub forums. I saw few members with the location in Croatia, I thought they will see the post here.

I just can't get into that cold Adriatic waters....brrrrrrrr!

Yup, they're cold. For me, a 2mm shortie was enough when snorkeling, but when I visited HMS Coriolanus (~30m), 5mm was barely enough. All this in August.

Croatia water is generally colder than the average Adriatic sea, this is also because there are fresh water spring directly into the sea and they are very cold.
So my advise is: if planning to dive a bit deep or long (1h or more) use a semi-dry or dry suit.

Back
Top Bottom