Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was going to try to get out to breakwater this weekend but the swells look like they will be picking up and the forecast says constant rain from Friday through Monday. The weather should be good for our reservoirs, but it has been tough on my weekend diving plans. Keeping my fingers crossed that the Miso clears up soon!

Dove Point Lobos yesterday. Incredible dive. Vis 35-40 feet slightly milky. Buddy and I were the only dive team there the whole day. Dove to end of Middle Reef crossed the sand channel to the Hole in the Wall and headed home. Water temp 53-55 degrees.
Stopped by Monastery to have a look, conditions were good there but didn't dive.

Dove Point Lobos yesterday. Incredible dive. Vis 35-40 feet slightly milky. Buddy and I were the only dive team there the whole day. Dove to end of Middle Reef crossed the sand channel to the Hole in the Wall and headed home. Water temp 53-55 degrees.
Stopped by Monastery to have a look, conditions were good there but didn't dive.

That's awesome news! Slightly milky is better than miso soup milky

Breakwater today had 20ft vis in AM. Saw 9 mermaids purse. 7 had sharks in them. 2 were very new. Went to Aquarium after dive. Sun came out later and I was thinking about a second dive. Water looked like crap at 3:00 pm I don't know why the water quality dropped so quick.

Nice dive at Breakwater today. We managed to get in between storms. The vis was not bad; 10-20 feet, sometimes murky. We had very calm conditions while diving but had to deal with a strong NW long surge coming in. We did see lots of critters and enjoyed the dive. No rain, mostly cloudy and water temp. was 56 degrees! We dove for 51 minutes and kept shallow, max depth 30 feet. Video coming.

Just finished diving the Breakwater this morning. The swells are strong but not the biggest I've seen. The bottom is getting pretty churned up so it's dive by braille until you're further from shore and past 30 feet. The dive, however was very satisfying and felt warm and embracing because it's so cold and rainy on land you have get in the water to warm up.

I should make this my signature because as I always say, "A bad day of diving is still better than an awesome day at work."

Wow.. the conditions looked pretty sketchy in terms of swell and temp or I would have tried to get out there. It doesn’t sound like you take “no” for an answer from the weather forecast.. that is awesome. Glad to hear your dive went well!

It doesn’t sound like you take “no” for an answer from the weather forecast

You know it! :D

2 dives on the Escapade on Saturday with the BAUE group. Wind, swell and rain forecasts almost caused the boat to be cancelled - I also almost decided not to go due to not wanting to wake up in the cold at stupid o'clock and drive down in the rain. It was surprisingly warm and sunny as we were loading up; super nice not to have to get into a drysuit in the rain.

Dive 1 was at the Needle, just outside the Pt Lobos Reserve boundaries. Absolutely amazing dive! The entire structure is covered in anemones with dozens of nudis, whelks and cowries. A cloud of blue rockfish maintained vigil on one side of the structure. There was a fair bit of surge during the entire dive due to the long period swell but easily managed.
-> 55min, 89ft max, 60ft avg, 30-40ft viz, 54F at depth

The surface interval was not pleasant as the wind had picked up and it was drizzling a bit too. I didn't warm up at all before the second dive and was expecting a short on called due to cold even though the water temp was certainly in the pleasant range.

Dive 2 was back in the Bay at Aumentos Reef. Viz was not as good as the bottom had gotten churned up more. The entire wall of metridium anemones on the east side of the reef were closed up and all the ling cods that are generally cruising around were hunkered down on the reef. We saw one of them next to its egg sack/pile which was a first for me. The end of the dive was not the most comfortable as I discovered I was underweighted with my new doubles
-> 47min, 69ft max, 53ft avg, 20-30ft viz, 55F at depth

Super stoked to be back in the water. Storms here and a cancelled trip to Thailand made this my first dive in 48 days :eek:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom