Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@elgoog - Escapade does a nice job. Glad you got some dives in. I'm also glad you didn't go on Sunday. Yesterday was brutal. Pouring down rain and the seas were pretty high, they probably would have cancelled your boat dive.

Found at Breakwater : Scubapro jet fin with spring strap. I think CSUMB student group lost it. I left it with the gang at Aquarius dive shop if you are looking for it.

How were the conditions and vis today?

2/19 Breakwater: minimal surge. vis poor 8-10 feet, murky, lots of debris in water. Rescued a small monkeyfaced eel was caught w hook in its mouth attached to fishing line, i cut it loose, hoping it makes it.

Metridium Fields: similar condition. multiple cormorants buzzing about near pipe.

water temp at 30 feet 53 degrees

Had a blast on both dives despite the vis.

Tuesday was no chamber of commerce day in Carmel. The swell was up at North Monastery and we entered and exited between wave sets. Visibility was a maximum of 15 feet, out near the splash rock; but there was a good deal of fish life, hanging around, almost motionless, like a child's mobile, avoiding the surge.

Water quality: thick milky with a decidedly planktonic funk; suit is still soaking . . .

Pt Lobos on Saturday morning. Low tide was at 0715 but the water was still pretty low when we got there as the gate opened and till 930am. The ramp was as green and slippery as I've ever seen it and there was a fair bit of slipping, sliding and falling. Skating down the ramp with double 120s on your back is a good way to test the upper limits of your heart rate. My buddy had a new DPV, was unfamiliar with navigating Pt Lobos and wanted to learn and also wanted to get some video so we decided to stay close in but hit as many spots as we could. I brought a stage along as my backgas tanks weren't full.

Hardly any kelp in the cove made for an easy surface scoot out and we dropped at the Worm Patch. Headed towards the west side of the cove first to Hole in the Wall and Lone Metridium, where it surprisingly surgy. We spent a fair bit of time in the ridges in that area before crossing over to Middle Reef and then over to Granite Point Wall. We swam around there as well for a while, going through the canyon in the second wall on that side - swimming with a stage and a DPV was not my smartest decision as it was even surgier back there (get on the frickin' trigger!!). Back to Middle Reef and swimming back to the Worm Patch to end the dive. I had started to get cold by then and only realized after surfacing that my legs were completely drenched. There was about a pint of water in each foot - turns out drysuits only keep you dry if you zip them up all the way.

Pretty milky viz but an improvement over last week so I'm hopeful it gets better. There wasn't a lot of fish out either but harbor seals kept us company on the surface.

-> 88 minutes, 76ft max, 50ft avg, 20-30ft viz, water 54F at the surface, 50F at depth, clear and sunny topside.

Video of our dive accompanied by overly dramatic music - buddy had the camera so the idiot you see swimming around with a scooter and a stage clipped off to his chest is me.

Completed my AOW class this weekend (2/23-24) at Breakwater. Woohoo! Water temp was ~53 most of the weekend. Vis was barely 5ft all day Saturday, very milky. Max depth was 45ft. Dove the wall and middle reef area. Night dive was fun regardless. Saw a bunch of habor seals lurking around the wall. Surface swam back with a small otter family. Sunday was slightly better. Vis was about 10-15ft as we got deeper. Max depth was 60ft since we were trying to find the barge. Found the line, but not what's left of the barge. We'll have to try another day!

the barge is mostly gone, not worth the effort anymore. a shame as it used to be a nice dive when vis was good before that anchor got dragged through it.

the barge is mostly gone, not worth the effort anymore. a shame as it used to be a nice dive when vis was good before that anchor got dragged through it.

That explains why we had trouble finding anything beyond the line. Thanks for the update. Bummer it's not around anymore. Consolation prize was we saw quite a few squid eggs. Always neat to find those around.

North Monastery had about twenty feet going for it, this morning, around eight. Closer to shore, it was a bit stirred up -- miso soup.

A second dive was at San Carlos Beach / Breakwater. No swell to speak of; but visibility was less than ten feet along the wall . . .

Back
Top Bottom