Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't mind knowing about Eagles Beak as well. I've never heard of it but dive Monastery all the time.

I wouldn't mind knowing about Eagles Beak as well. I've never heard of it but dive Monastery all the time.
This might be the cove if I am not mistaken. Quickest way to the deep. But a bit of a walk
537734_3545843998339_1157007114_n.jpg

I've never heard it called Eagle's Beak before, but there is a cove behind the day care that provides a short swim to the deeper parts of North Monastery. You get to it by going to the right of the day care. The usual procedure for that cove is to enter there, but exit on the beach.

Chuck

How deep did you snorkel above to see all that?

The leopard sharks, bat rays and sting rays were quite shallow in 8-12 ft over the sand. Apparently they can be seen at that spot quite reliably especially during the summer. I heard a research lecture that explained that that spot has slightly warmer water temps and all the leopards there are pregnant females. They hang out there and the warmer water aids in the gestation of their young.

Have some decent video and some stills of them. Sample here
P1040681reduced.jpg

Two dives early Saturday morning at "Ballbuster" off the dive boat Double Down. 5' NW swell, light wind, vis was very poor, less than 5' down to 35', then started to clear. Bottom at 90-100' was actually quite nice with a good 25-30' vis and very little surge. The boat took another group out this morning and they said it was "not good", there is a building swell today to 10' +.

On another note, stopped into Bamboo Reef for fills after our dives and they were hopping busy but treated us like royalty. Really nice employees.

Sunday at point lobos was 20ft @ 100ft depth. to 1ft in a cove. lot of water movement. kelp is getting there.

This is second hand information, but we were advised to call off our AOW dives at Breakwater and Monastery based on my diving instructors experience today, April 25. He said there was 5 ft vis down to 50 ft. at Metridium Fields and it didn't look favorable over the next two days. So, we're shooting for early May.

Dove the breakwater today, short summary: better than not diving. Choppy surface, 54F water, vis in the 4 to 8 foot range.

We arrived around 8am. There was a strong wind blowing straight toward the breakwater and a fairly large, short period, wind swell. Looking at it for a while it appeared doable, but I told my buddy I could gladly walk away considering the poor viz reports lately and possibility of worsening conditions. We decided to go visit with the Monterey Sea Otters, who had a beach cleanup, and see what developed. After an hour of socializing and watching a few intrepid souls make their entries the wind shifted and the seas calmed enough to head in after all, inviting a younger friend to join us as our "safety diver". Yes, I've reached the age where having a much younger buddy is prudent.

I did a fins off entry, pulled on one fin as soon as I'd passed the first break and single finned quickly past the outer break. We then surface swam to the 7 and put in a 51 minute dive, max depth 47 feet. I could see my fins clearly at all times so that places the min vis to about 4 feet. We could see each other out to almost 10 feet---lights helped---so I'm calling it 8 foot max. There weren't a lot of fish 'til we returned to the shallows so I shot lots of likely throw away video of crabs, sea cucumbers, anemones, etc.

Kicking back on the surface near the wall it was clear we were fighting a current so we turned and swam away another 30 or 40 feet & it became easier to swim. I pulled off my fins in about 4 feet of water then crouched into an approaching wave. It stood me back up as it passed and I walked out with no further trouble.

It was ugly, but fun.

Oh, and my drysuit repair was successful...no leaks, hurrah!

Just a heads up for anyone traveling to Carmel/Big Sur, the Big Sur Marathon starts in the early morning tomorrow, the 27th. Hwy 1 is closed from Rio road in Carmel, to Big Sur station from 4am to around 1:30pm.

Pt Lobos today. Middle of the cove to Middle Reef and back. Very surgy, but it was hard to tell until out at Middle Reef because the viz was about 4' and if you can't see any stationary objects... Out at Middle Reef it opened up enough (to about 8-10') to quit holding hands and just stay very close.

The kelp is starting to get thick in places. It probably opened up a bit more if you got out farther and deeper, but we were doing a nav exercise so the poor viz was actually helpful.

Back
Top Bottom