Monterey conditions. (let's keep it going )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

choppy/surgy at Lobos today. Vis in Whaler's 10 to 20 feet. Second dive further out 30 to 40 feet. My computer said 49F, but my cheap red alcohol thermometer indicated 55-ish.

A lot of crazyness---capsized boat (kayak?) got a full press rescue, but no one hurt. Diver's parked next to me had a gray whale pass over them. My buddy lost her GoPro, probably right near the ramp, & I had my weight belt fall off!!!! Fun diving otherwise.

Dove Pt. Lobos twice today. Outside the cove the surface was pretty rough. Below there was significant surge. Viz was 15-20', but we never got below 30 FSW.

Saw lots of Rockfish (Vermillions, Kelp, Treefish), schools of baby Senoritas and tubesnouts, large Lingcod and a Cabazon. Even saw a 4' Leopard Shark cruise underneath me. I would have got video of it but I LOST MY GOPRO on the swim out for the 2nd dive.

Apparently I missed the hole on the case with the mounting thumbscrew. If anyone finds a GoPro with a red Polar Pro filter on it in Whaler's Cove I'd love to have it back -- my name and number are on the camera.

The divers parked next to me saw it and, from what I overheard, were competing to be first post about it---somewhere---on their cell phones. Haven't seen anything about it here, so assume it's on facebook or twitter somewhere. You probably know better than me how to track that down.

It did sound like some pictures or video were taken.

Another interesting day at Pt. Lobos. Entry and exit were typically easy and sheltered. The surface got increasingly rougher just inside the cove inlet and outside the cove inlet swell was easily 5' (probably larger) with wind waves adding to the fun. Below there was heavy surge. Vis at 60' was 20, maybe 30, feet. Closer in and shallower (35') the surge was worse and vis less -- about 15'. Lots of fish.

Certainly the roughest surface conditions, outside of swimming rapids, I've been swimming in, and surge as heavy as I have experienced. In spite of that we really enjoyed the dives and didn't find the conditions stressful. What made it OK, was no current pushing us into rocks and the easy entry and exit.

---------- Post added January 27th, 2013 at 10:10 PM ----------

So apparently some people saw a whale at Lobos. Any video or photos?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...3709563636519.119653.1798461262&type=1&ref=nf

Dives 317 and 318, Point Lobos, January 26, 2013 - YouTube

Of course it'd be on a BAUE dive!
So jealous

Back
Top Bottom