Mooring buoy question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blazinator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My buddy and I are diving the Queen of the West (Lake Erie - east of Cleveland, North of Fairport Harbor) on Friday, and being that it has a MAST historic shipwreck mooring buoy on it, I was wondering what the protocols are if I find someone already tied up to it, or if we are there and some divers come by and want to dive it at the same time.

I highly doubt this will happen, but it is the peak dive season, and I was just curious if one ball can accomodate two dive boats at same time.

I'm thinking that one could raft up the boats, with one tied to the buoy, assuming that both teams are cool with the situation.

What about the second boat tying a long line to the buoy that trails behind the first boat?

Or second boat just simply anchors near (easiest, I suppose)?

Our boat is 22'

Anyone been in this situation? (wave report looks good - anybody want to join us? we can bring at least one more diver and non-diver - noon @ Fairport harbor, HTP marina)

I would love to go with you, what day?

Hahaha well I finally just re read it and got it. Friday. At noon. I can do it. PM me if there is still room

Here in the Thunder Bay Region we too have similar occurrences.

Water conditions dictate what the preferred method is.

I would never recommend the anchor option on a buoyed wreck. Trying to set an anchor with another boat in the way can be problematic. Also on a 100” depth you have to play out a lot more line that would greatly increase the “swing” potential. Can you say "bumper boats"

In light seas rafting is acceptable as you described.

In light to moderate seas, I prefer attaching a long bow line to the buoy. This allows me the opportunity to come and go as I please without inconveniencing the others.

In heavy seas, I prefer tying on to the stern of the other boat. A long line from your bow to the buoy could be dangerous to the divers in the water on the other boat and may cause entanglement if the line should try to pass under the other boat. Also ropes rubbing against boat finishes can rub people the wrong way.

I alway communicate with the other boat to see if they have a preference or if they have divers in the water before I attempt an approach or departure.

I have tied to the stern of other boats in clam seas and come up to find the other boat gone and now being attached directly to the buoy with out being fore warned. That can be a little unsettling; what if the move had gone bad? Did they tie a good knot?

Many of us here do leave the boats unattended. I know, I know, just telling the truth. We also dive off of sailboats. I also wreck dive (non-pen)without wreck cert. We also take our inflatables out in 6ft seas just for fun!!!!

I know, I know

I'M GONNA DIE!!!!!!!!

My 2 cents.

Jeff

We also take our inflatables out in 6ft seas just for fun!!!!

Thanks a ton for your experienced info. I'm totally with you on the last part. We dove the Sand Merchant last Wednesday and went from Cleveland to the site for two hours each way in six footers building to eight footers. Never died down. I came closer to sea sickness than ever before. It was fun for awhile . . .

Back
Top Bottom