Moray Eel attack?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I asked my buddy with the fancy-schmancy camera array, "Did you get a picture?"

He replied, "No I was using the camera as a shield!!"
He couldn't do both? Bum! :arrow:

Why do good divers use their fins and keep their arms crossed or tucked? So they're not tempted to touch anything. One of the first lessons of diving is still one of the best.

Why do good divers use their fins and keep their arms crossed or tucked? So they're not tempted to touch anything. One of the first lessons of diving is still one of the best.

Oddly I've never told anyone to keep their arms crossed or tucked to keep from touching anything. I told them to cross their arms in order to stop swimming with their arms to help their SAC or RMV.

Have to remember to add the not touching any thing! Good tip!

I cross my arms, but I still WANT to touch stuff. I dont, though, so maybe it works subconsciously. I must say though that I dont cross my arms in antique shops or other places specializing in fragile commerce, and I am still able to refrain from touching.

I cross my arms, but I still WANT to touch stuff. I dont, though, so maybe it works subconsciously. I must say though that I dont cross my arms in antique shops or other places specializing in fragile commerce, and I am still able to refrain from touching.
Cuz you know who has to pay for things you knock over.

Cuz you know who has to pay for things you knock over.

I just tell myself the same thing I tell myself underwater: "touching it wont make it any more real/awesome." It works!

Funny, Ed, that was one thing I thought of mentioning in my "Guard Eel" story....that I was really glad I had my hands in at my waist, and I am not one of the "ooooh I want to pet it" divers. I see otherwise smart people try to touch stuff all the time underwater. :idk:

Not the business end of a Green Moray, thankyouverymuch.

So how did he taste and what recipes do you recommend. :popcorn:

While I do not condone his behavior, an Asian friend of mine here on Catalina LOVES to eat moray. He gets them from anglers who catch them on hook-and-line.

I felt this intense tugging on the thigh of my wetsuit........ It appears that the intense tugging I felt was the morey gnawing on my leg. It did'nt leave any marks on my wetsuit,

What I find amazing is that you describe an intense tugging on your leg that was the moray gnawing on you and with those teeth of theirs you had no marks on your wetsuit. Must be a hell of a wetsuit!

We have an eel that swims around groups on a night dive as large as 50 or more people and has never once acted aggressive. Most people don't even see it but it always ends up on the video. I've seen it wrapped around in and out of gear with it's head on someones shoulder.

These animals have pretty poor eye sight, sharp teeth and tend to hunt more at night, when everything else is out there looking for food. If something touched me in the dark, I'd probably think it was trying to eat me too. The only times I've seen accidents, people putting hands in holes and or trying to hand feed them.

Back
Top Bottom