More news about Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Be real careful what you wish for. I live outside of Austin and SW has two (2) daily direct flights to CUN. We are taking a week in Coz in the middle of June and it is roughly the same to fly American to CZM (through DFW with civil flight times/layovers).

SW sets me back $628pp and AA gets me to CZM at less the $610. Call it even money with one checked bag on AA.

Also looked at San Antonio for SW flights and it gets worse ($688rt).

Southwest is seldom the cheapest fare on a route. But the "Southwest effect" is real and proven. After Southwest enters a market, average fares decrease. I'm confident that if SWA started flying into Cozumel we would all be paying less for flights, even if SWA wasn't the lowest fare. This really just illustrates how much the other airlines are screwing us where they can.

BTW, you really pay a premium if you just have to fly on weekends. You could make that flight on weekdays for about $350. I decided a long time ago to do that. I've never had a job that cared the least bit if I started or ended my vacation mid-week.

A lot of times it is less expensive to fly into a hub and make a connection than flying direct out of the hub. I know it makes no sense, but that is the happy world of airline pricing.

When we fly to Hawai'i we book our flight from San Diego and have a layover in Los Angeles. The same flight, if booked from LA, costs considerably more. We are fortunate that we can choose our departure city because they are roughly the same distance from our home.

Southwest is seldom the cheapest fare on a route. But the "Southwest effect" is real and proven. After Southwest enters a market, average fares decrease. I'm confident that if SWA started flying into Cozumel we would all be paying less for flights, even if SWA wasn't the lowest fare. This really just illustrates how much the other airlines are screwing us where they can.

BTW, you really pay a premium if you just have to fly on weekends. You could make that flight on weekdays for about $350. I decided a long time ago to do that. I've never had a job that cared the least bit if I started or ended my vacation mid-week.

And Southwest offers 2 free checked bags so that contributes to the cost savings.

The U.S. government warning sounds pretty bad. On the other hand, we take risks everyday despite similar warnings. Personally, I’m currently in SE Asia despite warnings of local incidence of malaria and dengue fever. I have even heard of some Canadians risking visiting NYC. And Miami!

But you are taking anti-malarial medication and using the anti-mosquito precautions that are advised for SE Asia, right? I am a clinical microbiologist and I believe in germs - it's an occupational hazard! Malaria is a terrible disease that can kill you, or at the very least make you really, really sick for a long time.

And one of the colloquial names for Dengue is "Breakbone Fever" because it is so painful that you feel like your bones are broken; if you don't believe me then see the post below from @NYCNaiad who described her experiences after contracting Dengue in the Philippines. The phrase "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" is really true in this situation.

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/posts/7975581/

Last edited:
One of my former coworkers got dengue. It was the worst experience of his life, and certainly one of the more painful visits I've ever had to make to a hospital, patient or visitor. Take the drugs.

I wouldn't wish dengue on anyone but a handful of people, think Hitler, Stalin, the Kardashians.

But you are taking anti-malarial medication and using the anti-mosquito precautions that are advised for SE Asia, right? I am a clinical microbiologist and I believe in germs - it's an occupational hazard! Malaria is a terrible disease that can kill you, or at the very least make you really, really sick for a long time.

https://www.scubaboard.com/community/posts/7975581/

Anti malarial medication? A long time ago when I traveled to Belize I think my Dr. prescribed me Cipro of all things if I remember. I was to take 1 a week while there and then 1 a week for the following 2-3 weeks after returning? I then read that malaria is a 100% treatable disease in 1st world countries and taking such preventative meds while on vaca could cause more problems for the locals as the last thing they need is a stand of malaria that has become immune to a common antibiotic that we may take as preventative but they use to treat an infection. I haven't taken any preventative meds since and prefer to apply bug spray but I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

Anti malarial medication? A long time ago when I traveled to Belize I think my Dr. prescribed me Cipro of all things if I remember. I was to take 1 a week while there and then 1 a week for the following 2-3 weeks after returning? I then read that malaria is a 100% treatable disease in 1st world countries and taking such preventative meds while on vaca could cause more problems for the locals as the last thing they need is a stand of malaria that has become immune to a common antibiotic that we may take as preventative but they use to treat an infection. I haven't taken any preventative meds since and prefer to apply bug spray but I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

Your doctor may have prescribed Cipro to prevent food and water borne infections, like Traveler's Diarrhea. Cipro is usually not recommended as a preventative these days because it can result in more resistant strains of the bacteria and also reduce your own normal flora, making you more susceptible to other types of infections.

Recommendations on whether or not to take preventive medications for malaria before, during, and after the trip depend on where you are traveling and the risk of infection. I don't know where @hilljo88 is traveling in SE Asia but he said that there are local warnings about malaria and dengue fever so I suggested that he take precautions.

The CDC weighs the prevalence of the infection, the risks to travelers, and the resistance of the strain(s) present in the area, the likelihood of side affects to medications, etc. before making travel health recommendations.

For example, currently the CDC does not recommend taking preventative malaria medications for trips to Belize (mosquito avoidance only) but they do recommend taking malaria meds for Roatan and the other Honduran Bay Islands, see below.

Luckily the strains present in Honduras are not resistant strains so most people can take the medication without much worry about side affects (sometimes you need nasty drugs to treat nastier bugs!) The biggest problems with malaria are in Sub-Saharan Africa, but it does occur in many other tropical locations.

The best thing to do is go to the CDC Traveler's Health website at: Travelers' Health | CDC and enter your destination and read the recommendations. You can also visit a travel medicine infectious disease doctor for advice, vaccines, and prescriptions; and sometimes your local public health department will provide travel medicine information and some vaccines.

The CDC site will also tell you if the country you are visiting requires visitors to present proof of certain vaccinations before they will be allowed to enter (like Yellow Fever if you are traveling from Brazil).

Health Information for Travelers to Honduras - Traveler view | Travelers' Health | CDC

From the CDC's Traveler's Health Honduras:

Malaria

Areas with malaria: Present throughout the country and in Roatán and other Bay Islands. None in San Pedro Sula and Tegucigalpa.

Estimated relative risk of malaria for US travelers: Moderate.

Drug resistance: None.

Malaria species: P. vivax 93%, P. falciparum 7%.

Recommended chemoprophylaxis: Atovaquone-proguanil, chloroquine, doxycycline, mefloquine, or primaquine

CDC - Malaria

Malaria is a mosquito-borne disease caused by a parasite. People with malaria often experience fever, chills, and flu-like illness. Left untreated, they may develop severe complications and die. In 2016 an estimated 216 million cases of malaria occurred worldwide and 445,000 people died, mostly children in the African Region. About 1,700 cases of malaria are diagnosed in the United States each year. The vast majority of cases in the United States are in travelers and immigrants returning from countries where malaria transmission occurs, many from sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia.

Last edited:

I was the one @KathyV linked to above who suffered horribly from dengue. People can still die of dengue & malaria even with "1st world" treatment. (And now that I've had dengue, my chances actually go up for dying from it if I get it again.) But even if you don't die, you may long for death when the pain gets that bad. With dengue, I felt like my bones were actually breaking all over my body while undergoing a life-threatening fever of 106.5F (41.4C) among other things. And what happens after you've recovered can also be bad (e.g., hair falling out, skin sloughing off, etc.). With malaria, the disease can even come back. I have a friend who had to be hospitalized in the US 10 years after he left Africa because of a malaria recurrence. Side note: I do not believe that taking preventative meds causes more problems for the locals. (If you find an article which says something different, I'd love to see it.)

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with KathyV re: going to the CDC web site & looking up their recommendations for all preventative medicines & measures. (Measures including a CDC-recommended bug spray regularly applied.) It's also a good idea to have your blood checked to see if you're still immune to the basics. My mother thought I had gotten the MMR vaccine as a child, but wasn't completely sure as it was just starting to become required where I lived. So I decided to get my blood checked. Yep, I had gotten the MMR vaccine & was protected against Mumps & Rubella, but had lost my immunity to Measles. Lucky I found that out because a week later, a mini Measles epidemic hit NYC where I live! When I told my brother this, he got checked as well & found that he had lost his immunity to Mumps!

I was the one @KathyV linked to above who suffered horribly from dengue. People can still die of dengue & malaria even with "1st world" treatment. (And now that I've had dengue, my chances actually go up for dying from it if I get it again.) But even if you don't die, you may long for death when the pain gets that bad. With dengue, I felt like my bones were actually breaking all over my body while undergoing a life-threatening fever of 106.5F (41.4C) among other things. And what happens after you've recovered can also be bad (e.g., hair falling out, skin sloughing off, etc.). With malaria, the disease can even come back. I have a friend who had to be hospitalized in the US 10 years after he left Africa because of a malaria recurrence. Side note: I do not believe that taking preventative meds causes more problems for the locals. (If you find an article which says something different, I'd love to see it.)

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with KathyV re: going to the CDC web site & looking up their recommendations for all preventative medicines & measures. (Measures including a CDC-recommended bug spray regularly applied.) It's also a good idea to have your blood checked to see if you're still immune to the basics. My mother thought I had gotten the MMR vaccine as a child, but wasn't completely sure as it was just starting to become required where I lived. So I decided to get my blood checked. Yep, I had gotten the MMR vaccine & was protected against Mumps & Rubella, but had lost my immunity to Measles. Lucky I found that out because a week later, a mini Measles epidemic hit NYC where I live! When I told my brother this, he got checked as well & found that he had lost his immunity to Mumps!

Thanks @NYCNaiad! and my apologies to the OP for high-jacking this thread, but when @hilljo88 offhandedly mentioned malaria and dengue warnings in SE Asia I felt compelled to jump in.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom