More Olympus E-PL1 U/W Photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PHIL RUDIN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
All images taken with the 14 to 42 mm "kit" zoom lens at the 42 mm setting using the Olympus PT-EP01 housing and an Athena ring flash.

Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin Bio

Attachments

• -5210365.jpg
    -5210365.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 220
  • -5210414.jpg
    -5210414.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 232
  • -5230628.jpg
    -5230628.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 219
  • -5210405.jpg
    -5210405.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 233
  • -5210509.jpg
    -5210509.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 213
  • -5230669.jpg
    -5230669.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 232
Nice photos!

I'm curious, how do you think the EPL-1 compares to some of the Olympus SLR setups that you've used?

Phil - great photos. I have recently bought a PL1 with PT housing and hope to get into the water with it soon. I only have a UFL-1 strobe, but I will see how it goes. Perhaps it is just me, but I think that the camera flash and the two housing optical ports are not quite in alignment - the ports are too far apart I think. The left hand one (nearest the zoom wheel) gives a stronger output than the other so the ttl (using a fibre cable) varies between the ports. Do you have any thoughts on this? John.

Great shots phil. Thanks for sharing, unfortunately I see the hole in my wallet getting bigger.

Hi Dave,

Regarding image quality it is every bit as good as the DSLR cameras, they all share the same sensor size and the image processor is about the same. Auto focus speed is close to the DSLR using a lens of equal F-speed value.

This is the first implementation of "live view" that works for me, I had the E-330 and others with live view but never found it of much use. This live view works very well.

John,

The camera has one flash tube in the pop-up flash, in TTL the flash turns on when the shutter is depressed and turns off when the cameras "brain" thinks a proper exposure has been achieved. All the external strobes do is mimic the pop-up flash via the fiber optic cables. How intense the flash is in one port v. the other should not change the light output of the external strobe because they will both turn on and then off at the same time. You could in fact attach several strobes (4-6) and they would all work in unison with the pop-up flash, that is how TTL works.

Phil Rudin

hold on a minute there...what full frame DSLR has the same sensor size as this Olympus? Youre' telling me the Canon 5D has the same sensor size? News to me

I am not telling you anything promo,

If you would read Dave's question he asks me how the E-PL1 compares to other OLYMPUS DSLR's, they (the Olympus cameras) all have the same sensor size.

sorry, got it. I'm actually thinking of this set up instead of the Canon G-11 Glad to see the great results

sorry, got it. I'm actually thinking of this set up instead of the Canon G-11 Glad to see the great results Also, how is the video mode?

I have had know argument with Canon and Nikon owners that the 35 mm size sensors with almost four times the sensor area should render results of higher quality than a 4/3 sensor. I would expect that they would have no argument that the Pen cameras with a sensor area 5.5 times larger than the G-10/G-11 should render higher quality results for the same reasons.

Regarding video I have not yet tried that mode. I have never used video underwater (had a super 8 MM underwater film camera) so I will leave that area to those more knowledgeable.

Phil Rudin

Back
Top Bottom