Most Expensive Rebreather in the World?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm surprised no one has said "the one that fails and kills you".
Because if you have good training it isn't the rebreather that kills you. Poor training, poor planning, poor execution of a dive plan, poor maintenance, incorrect bailout, etc.

Well, the beryllium rebreather exists. Now we just have to figure out what it cost the US Navy.

The wife and I dove with the Davenport Navy Seals on their (reportedly) $70,000 Viper rebreathers. It was in their swimming pool with a one-on-one Navy Seal making sure we could go the distance. This was a dive organized by the Western Underwater Dive Club in West Auckland, New Zealand. The incredible thing about this was that it was my wife's very first tank dive (honest). I would think that not many people could make that claim. All her previous diving had been on a Hookah (surface supplied air). Now, at 72 years she dives regular scuba like most of us.

That liquid oxygen from the movie abyss is a real thing. But they couldn't figure out how to stop co posioning.. you would need to intubate and have the liquid sucked from your lungs to recirculate. But if someone did figure it out that would be kinda cool. Aside from having to drown essentially Everytime you went diving

That liquid oxygen from the movie abyss is a real thing. But they couldn't figure out how to stop co posioning.. you would need to intubate and have the liquid sucked from your lungs to recirculate. But if someone did figure it out that would be kinda cool. Aside from having to drown essentially Everytime you went diving

I can't remember the head instructor's name at Diver's Academy in the late 90's but he used to work at NEDU. He said he was part of the team who was working on the liquid crap shown in The Abyss. He said that it looked like it would work great, but only two divers ever tried it in tests. Neither diver could be convinced to attempt it a second time and after the first two tried, no one was interested in volunteering. Richard Cortez. I think his name was.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom