Mounting doubles on an old Nemrod or Dacor backpack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Culcuhain

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have 2 old back packs. One nemrod and one Dacor. I just got my manifold in (SEAMCO) for a set of twin 72s. I have the bands. Do I run the bolts from the bands through the back of the backpack and I am done? Thanks!!

Do you have a vintage set of bands, like these, which have a bow running from one tank to the other which matches the concave section of the back pack? If so, one set of bolts is used for holding the tanks and another set is used for attaching the bands to the back pack.
. Vintage bands.jpg

I don't but that explains a lot. :) Time for some new (old) bands... Thanks!!!

You can use an old backpack with modern bands that don't have the bow, but be carfull when you tighten up the nut on the backpack as it is easy to break the plastic. When I still used an old pack with modern bands I used a bolt from the back with one nut tighting the bands, then a wing nut to hold the pack on and only got it snug by hand. Also, make sure you always use a washer under the nut on the pack.

One last thing, the spacing of the bolt holes in an old back pack is shorter then on modern BC's, So if you want to use a BC, you will need to cut a new hole for one of the bolts. I always put the hole on the bottom bolt and reienforced it with a brass grommet.

Thank you! This helps. I have an US Divers Horescollar being shipped. :) I think I will search for those older vintage bands first (anyone have a set they want to sell?).

Thanks!!

In the short term you could make a pair of bands from galvanized HVAC hanger strap. Cost about $15. They took about 1/2 hour to make and do the job well.
Picture2011-5.jpg

Picture2006-15.jpg

Culcuhain Are you sure you want to go the backpack route? If you have to buy additional bands, you should consider using the older, military-style bands and military harness. It is more comfortable, and will give your double better security in that (as stated above) the plastic on these backpacks could break. This is what it looks like:
USSDiverswaiting.jpg
NavyDiversinhatch.jpg

NavyUDT.jpg

New harnesses are available now (talk to Simonbeans), and new bands too (they are on E-Bay from time to time). This is a time-tested means of attaching these tanks to a diver, and are more comfortable because the two cylinders ride on the large back muscles, and there is more surface area than the backpack. I had a backpack cause a back injury last year when I exited, due to the entire weight of the tanks being on a very small portion of my back. SeaRat

Last edited:
Yes, I agree with John. If you have bands already, and especially if you're going to use a horse collar, forget about using a backplate. Here is a one band per tank backpack (Dacor, I think) I had. It was OK for independent doubles but not as comfortable as a backplate or a simple bands and harness setup-the most comfortable way to wear doubles. Caveat: I've never used a side mount system.
Backpack_2.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom