Movies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Natasha
I love this thread. Even though Buff HATES one of my favorite movies.
I should add "Dances with Wolves" to my list. Anyone like or hate that one?

Natasha,

Since you asked, I am okay with Dances with Wolves but I HATED Forrest Gump. I thought it was so depressing how he kept getting used by Jenny. I didn't think it was sweet at all. I thought he was a mildly retarded guy who got used a lot. I know I am definitely in the minority here because the rest of the universe seemed to like this flick but I couldn't get past it. The soundtrack was good thought!

Alright, off my soap box at 7am.

:bunny: Heather :bunny:

I do think the Sound of Music is wonderful if that makes up for it! Have you ever been to Salsburg, Austria? I walked around the whole day singing "Doe a Deer a Female Deer, Ray a Drop of Golden Sun" I love being a geeky American Tourist!

Originally posted by Natasha
I love this thread. Even though Buff HATES one of my favorite movies.
I should add "Dances with Wolves" to my list. Anyone like or hate that one?
Being a white guy, I found it very offensive. The only intellegent white guy in the whole show turns too stupid to talk half way through it. :upset:

Originally posted by landlocked
Being a white guy, I found it very offensive. The only intellegent white guy in the whole show turns too stupid to talk half way through it. :upset:

Personally.....I don't think the white guys acted to intelligently in the situation the story portrays...why should they be portrayed any other way?

There's a trend recently that there can't be bad guys anymore in movies....or even worse, the bad guys need to be a diverse group. Even if history needs to be re-written to do it.

People do bad things.....all sorts of bad things, and they come in all shapes, sizes, ethnicities and genders. Fortunately, the same is true for good things.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now, and we can continue with the reguarly scheduled thread

:)

I find it important to always look for the purpose behind the making of any movie. It is easy to get caught up in the entertainment aspect of theater, but that is not what motivates writers to tell stories. And it is the purpose of the writer that determines if a story is powerful or not. It is often the intent of the writer to "teach" the public. The political climate at any point in history will determine what stories will be made into movies. Dances With Wolves was made with a specific and obvious political agenda. It's purpose was to teach the public that the "Indians" are people and that most white men were worse than the Indians during the conquest of the West. Prior to this era movies were free to depict primitive American peoples as animals. A good example of this is "The Searchers" (by the way "Star Wars" is a remake of this film). What is really interesting is that we have given 'humanity' to primitive American cultures and then looked for other cultures to dehumanize, even if they had to be fictitious. It would seem that as a society we have a need for an enemy. As for the question: is "Dances With Wolves" a good movie or not? I would have to answer, yes. And for the very reasons that Landlocked doesn't like it. It's agenda is blatant, to the point of having the protagonist be a white guy that we can "all" relate to. The antagonist is his culture. His conflict is choosing between Frontier White culture and primitive American culture. The resolution comes when he chooses Primitive over White, and sacrifices his choice so the "People" can live in peace. He becomes an Indian. This makes a good movie, it did what it intended to do. As it was for Landlocked for me the politics are over the top, so it does not make it in my top ten list. It's greatest redeeming value is not its story but its cinematography. Wow! What a work of art. I just love it when the entire screen is utilized.

Heather:
Yes, I have been lucky enought to have gone to Austria. It was part of the same trip that I also visited, Italy, Switzerland, and Germany. Al wonderful countries. Maybe that is part of why I love the movie.

A few more maybe not 'favorites' but good flicks, would be Enemy Mine, and Deer Hunter, Born on the 4th of July, and Shindler's List.
I would also add Saving Private Ryan.
That should keep the thread going...

Has any one included Black Hawk Down?
It is not a favorite of mine, but seeing it was such an experience that I just have to mention it here.
As I was taking my seat some parents let their children (under 10 years old) take seats on the very front row and by them selves. Behind me another family of four took seats. Father, Mother and two young children. When the movie really got violent the kids on the front row began screaming for their parents. This went ignored for a fair amount of time due to the fact that it sounded so much like the movie. During this curiosity caused my to turn around to see how the kids behind me were doing. The mother had her arm stretched out across both kid’s faces to cover their eyes. But the surprise was the father had reached over and was covering his wife's eyes while he was glued to the violence. About half way through or a little more some screaming from the back of the theater starts to build up. IT isn't long until the entire theater is a noise with yells for lights and commotion about someone having an heart attack, or seisure. I went because a friend that I work with who had been to war told me that it was the most realistic depiction of war he had seen. A truly amazing movie. Too violent to make my list. Any one find redeeming qualities in this flick?

I don't have any comments to make about "Black Hawk Down", but Dafydd's story about the kids in the theater reminded me about the time I went to see "Saving Private Ryan".

I prefer to see movies quite a bit after they first open, just so that the crowds aren't as bad. With as much hype and commentary that had been going on about the movie, combined with how far from the opening date I went to see it, there was no way the parents of the 2 kids in the theater (approximately 4 and 5 years old) could not have known about the violence in the film or the subject matter.

The movie opened with the scene of the beach being stormed - all the noise of gunfire and yelling (from the movie) was accompanied by yelling and crying (from the kids). This continued through most of the movie.

I've got to wonder about some parents sometimes. . .

Just wanted to throw in a few more...

A Clockwork Orange
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Big Lebowski
Fandango (actually a pretty bad flick, but its a guilty pleasure)
Evil Dead 2
To Kill A Mockingbird
The Princess Bride
The Road Warrior
Repo Man

Back
Top Bottom