Moving to DC in May, need a good shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NAVY21

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey,
I am coming to work in DC this summer from Cape Ann, MA and I was looking to get some suggestions on a good shop. I don't know if there are any shops so close to the city that I might refer to it as a lds, but a good shop in the area that pref. runs weekend charters would be perfect. Anyone know of any shops like that? I appreciate it! Thanks!

NAVY21:
Hey,
I am coming to work in DC this summer from Cape Ann, MA and I was looking to get some suggestions on a good shop. I don't know if there are any shops so close to the city that I might refer to it as a lds, but a good shop in the area that pref. runs weekend charters would be perfect. Anyone know of any shops like that? I appreciate it! Thanks!

It depends on where you plan to live. I like The Dive Shop in Fairfax, Va. and Aquatic Adventures in Alexandria. In Maryland, I was happy with Annapolis Scuba when I lived way out by the Bay. There are more that others can recommend but I know these and would recommend them.

I've also heard good things about Atlantic Edge in Gaithersburg if you'll be in Montgomery county.

I will be right in the city about 7 blocks from the white house if that helps! I'll check those shops you recommended. Thank you

When I worked downtown, I liked Marty's place in Alexandria because it was close, although it is further out now: http://www.my-town.com/learn2dive/equip.asp

The Dive Shop is easy to get to off I 66 but I 66 has HOV: restrictions and can be a partking lot around rush hours. http://www.thediveshop-va.com/

And Milbrook Quarry is off I 66 past Manassass near Haymarket. Ask either shop for details

You will have to come out and do some diving with us when we get the Rawlings and Bluestone trips started up for this season. NCDIVERS.com has quite a few of us that go diving pretty regularly, and I end up having to go to DC a lot for my job. If you are ever looking for buddies let us know, either on here or at NC Divers. It's a pretty good group.

Welcome on board Navy. There are a lot of current and former/retired military diving in the area. I live out in western Fairfax county and use Adventure Scuba Company in Chantilly. It is run by a retired Marine and always a good place to talk Scuba etc...

Hey, Welcome to DC

I usually go to The Dive Shop in Faifax (someone above provided a link). I have done their Fun Dives at Millbrook from time to time.

And I also like Splash Dive Center in Alexandria: www.splashdivecenter.com
They also do Fundives at Millbrook

Both do trips anywhere from Rawlings to North Carolina Wreck as well as far flung places around the globe.

Good luck. I have been in DC for a year and I have visited almost every shop in the area. Be prepared to deal with very bad attitudes, unfriendly staff, lots of scubadork self-rightousness, and incompetence.

~Marlinspike

Back
Top Bottom