Moving to DC in May, need a good shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marlinspike:
True, but the dive shops around DC are particularly bad. By comparison Discovery Dive Center, Olympus Diving, Gypsy Divers, and Down Under Surf and Scuba in NC, and Pirate Water Sports in Ocean City, MD (spearfishinggear.com) are far superior. They offer one or more of the following over what I have experienced in the DC area:

1. They put what I ask for in my cylinders. 30% and 36% are not the same thing at depth. I know what I need and how I am going to use it so dont make assumptions for me without asking, and then try to convince me that "for that diving, you need this", because for the dive profile my team had planned, I needed what I asked for.

2. They can actually read cylinder markings. I know E8s look like 120s but I am not paying for a fill I didnt get.

3. They have the ability to deliver products on time without excuses. Its not my fault you didnt order my stuff when you said you would.

4. and most importantly, they greet with a smile instead of making me stand around for 20 minutes when they aren't helping anyone else or busy before even asking if I need help. "Yes I need you to do something with the set of doubles I just dragged in you %(^*$!"

I am glad others on this board have had different experiences.

~Marlinspike

My dealings have been generally good with both Splash and The Dive Shop-VA. But I am of lower experience level so I'm more apt to just go with their flow -- use their tanks, get standard mixes etc. I've dealt with the flippant clerk from time to time but that's about it. When I was new The Dive Shop's fun dives were very educational.

suthnbelle,
Let me get back to you on that...I am actaully leaving my house in MA the 18th or 19th, putting me into DC 10 hours later sooo that might work for me--let me know the specifics when you get a chance...Thanks!

So I'm a novice diver being certified for 2 years, and exclusively doing warm water dives in the Carribean (I live in DC), but I'm thinking about giving it a try closer to home. Can anyone tell me what kind of conditions (temp, vis, avg dive profiles, etc.) to expect in places like Ocean City, MD? Would I have to start getting into technical diving and buying a BP/W, drysuit, etc., or are there a decent amount of one tank "recreational" divers on the charter boats as well?

occrider:
So I'm a novice diver being certified for 2 years, and exclusively doing warm water dives in the Carribean (I live in DC), but I'm thinking about giving it a try closer to home. Can anyone tell me what kind of conditions (temp, vis, avg dive profiles, etc.) to expect in places like Ocean City, MD? Would I have to start getting into technical diving and buying a BP/W, drysuit, etc., or are there a decent amount of one tank "recreational" divers on the charter boats as well?
There is plenty of good single tank NDL diving around. Sure you'll see people with drysuits and doubles. They're really are the minority, they're just more visibile. However, if all you're dives have been the Carribean I'd suggest taking things slow. The water is colder so you'll need a heavier wetsuit. The visibility is lower and the ocean can be rougher and it takes some people a bit to used to it. I'd suggest you either hook up with some people locally and go play around in on of the quarries. Alternatively you could talk to a shop about taking an AOW class might provide an introduction to the conditions up here.

PS you can still find warm clear water without going to the Carribean. Just go to NC.

cornfed:
There is plenty of good single tank NDL diving around. Sure you'll see people with drysuits and doubles. They're really are the minority, they're just more visibile. However, if all you're dives have been the Carribean I'd suggest taking things slow. The water is colder so you'll need a heavier wetsuit. The visibility is lower and the ocean can be rougher and it takes some people a bit to used to it. I'd suggest you either hook up with some people locally and go play around in on of the quarries. Alternatively you could talk to a shop about taking an AOW class might provide an introduction to the conditions up here.

PS you can still find warm clear water without going to the Carribean. Just go to NC.

Hmmm yea I would plan on getting a 5 or 7mm wetsuit if I were to jump into the Atlantic. I've completed my AOW and I've done a little bit of cave diving and drift diving in Cozumel, so I've been exposed to a few varied conditions. I would like to do some recreational diving locally (can't say that I'm too interested in quarries) but I don't want to get into decompression diving, dry suit diving, or heavily technical diving this early on. Thanks for the info.

occrider:
(can't say that I'm too interested in quarries)
Me neither :D
I only suggested it because it's a quick and cheap way to be exposed to cold low viz without the hassle of a boat ride. But if you're already comfortable more power to ya.

Hey occrider,
There are plenty of dives out of oc MD. that are neither technical nor low vis. The rub with the mid atlantic is you could have 15 to 50 offshore, or you could have 1. Life is like a box of chocolate. The charter boat ocdiver goes out of oc inlet, and the boat to dive for goes out of indian river. Both of these boats offer ocean diving from 25fsw to full on tech. Good luck.
both operators can be found on the web
Eric

Just back on topic here a little bit. I've heard good things about National Diving Center in DC. I've never been there, but talked to a couple dive buddies who have been and had good service by people who knew what they were doing. Apparently, the prices were even decent for services.

National Diving Center 4932 Wisconsin Ave NW Washington DC 20016 202-363-6123

Chris
PS: Welcome to all of the new divers. And quarry diving isn't bad at all. Not the amount of life you get in carribbean or tropical locales, but it's good to get under and work on skills.

I live in Gaithersburg, and have used Atlantic Edge as my lds. They do a lot of trip/training, and even sponsor the Baltimore Aquarium Dive. They are a quick Metro trip to Shady Grove.

They are pretty pricey, but their DM's are tremendously knowledgeable. Hope to see you around.

I use Splash Dive Center in Alexandria. The Owner, Ron Carmichael works as an ocean engineer for the Navy. I have tried The Dive Shop but their attitude turned me off. I find Splash much more friendly even though The Dive Shop is more convenient to access).

Let us know where you end up and if you need a buddy.
JL

Back
Top Bottom