Moving to DC in May, need a good shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am moving to area from NYC is Virginia beach or Ocean city Maryland the closest places for a boat?

Shouldn't there be a boat closer than that?

There used to be several boats out of Indian River Delaware south of Dewey Beach, but the last of these disappeared when the operators succombed to the high demand for pilot boats in the Gulf Coast after Katrina.

Delaware is a shorter drive and is superior to Ocean City on many levels, not the least of which is OC's summer gridlock. I do hope someone fills the gap.

In the meantime, OC is the shortest drive at about 2 and half hours from DC.

Not to take the spotlight off of Navy21, but I'm also moving to the DC area. Well, Arlington to be exact - I'll be attending Georgetown University.

So I just wanna say hello to everyone in the area!

Marlinspike:
Good luck. I have been in DC for a year and I have visited almost every shop in the area. Be prepared to deal with very bad attitudes, unfriendly staff, lots of scubadork self-rightousness, and incompetence.

~Marlinspike

I'm not sure that's limited to DC

I live in Fairfax and must take exception to the general statement by Marlinspike. The Dive Shop and Adventure Scuba both work to take care of their customers. If you have specific shops and comments let's hear them. It's always good to know who watches out for their customer's needs.

Dive Partner1,
Just curious about your list of reasons Delaware is Superior to O.C.?

My list of the opposing argument would be as follows:

Closer to the gulf stream.

farther away from the Delaware Bay and North flush effect.

Shorter boat rides to better Wrecks

more dive destination choices.

Eric

LeFlaneur:
I'm not sure that's limited to DC

True, but the dive shops around DC are particularly bad. By comparison Discovery Dive Center, Olympus Diving, Gypsy Divers, and Down Under Surf and Scuba in NC, and Pirate Water Sports in Ocean City, MD (spearfishinggear.com) are far superior. They offer one or more of the following over what I have experienced in the DC area:

1. They put what I ask for in my cylinders. 30% and 36% are not the same thing at depth. I know what I need and how I am going to use it so dont make assumptions for me without asking, and then try to convince me that "for that diving, you need this", because for the dive profile my team had planned, I needed what I asked for.

2. They can actually read cylinder markings. I know E8s look like 120s but I am not paying for a fill I didnt get.

3. They have the ability to deliver products on time without excuses. Its not my fault you didnt order my stuff when you said you would.

4. and most importantly, they greet with a smile instead of making me stand around for 20 minutes when they aren't helping anyone else or busy before even asking if I need help. "Yes I need you to do something with the set of doubles I just dragged in you %(^*$!"

I am glad others on this board have had different experiences.

~Marlinspike

Marlinspike:
True, but the dive shops around DC are particularly bad. By comparison Discovery Dive Center, Olympus Diving, Gypsy Divers, and Down Under Surf and Scuba in NC, and Pirate Water Sports in Ocean City, MD (spearfishinggear.com) are far superior. They offer one or more of the following over what I have experienced in the DC area:
I've had similar experiences and I've always attributed it to not being near water. One of the shops I go to wants almost a full week to do fills. That means if I go diving one weekend I'd better get my tanks in on Monday if I'm planning to go the following weekend.

NAVY21:
Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate all the help and look forward to diving with you next month!

If you want to join us about 15 of us from the NC group are diving at Rawlings as well as three from this northern group. :D It is the weekend of May 20.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom