Moving to DIR...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

earl

Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm a newly minted diver w/ 35+ dives under my belt. Unfortunately, I got certified at a place that only does rec stuff; I also purchased a set of equipment from them.

Current equipment:
mk20/G250 Yoke
Aqualung Malibu Backinflate BC
Generic (although it is firetruck red w/ reflective car paint :)) Aluminum 80 w/ yoke valve
7mm farmer john wetsuit (am trying out various drysuits, though)

Having gotten through Padi OW and AOW withoutmuch of a feeling of accomplishment or of becoming a good/better diver, I am planning on taking DIRF next year and Tech1 if the previous goes well.

So, I'd like to switch to a DIR gear configuration. Unfortunately, the DIR book by JJ doesn't help much in this area if you are just starting to purchase gear. There is only one diveshop in my area that does anything resembling tech diving; I'll check them out this week. The thing is, having spent enough money on gear that doesn't look like it will be getting much more use, I would prefer to, as much as possible, not purchase gear that I won't be using five years from now.

First, is it worthwhile to convert my ScubaPro mk20 to DIN? Is this possible?

Next, it seems that either a stainless steel or aluminum backplate is in order. Is it recommended to purchase this from Halcyon/a Halcyon dealer/FredT (if I have the name correct? And how does one contact him?) How complicated is stringing the webbing if it doesn't come assembled?

I will be diving with a single tank in the near future, although perhaps doubles in the somewhat near future. So, is a Pressed Steel LP104 a decent choice? This would normally come in DIN300 one presumes; is there a way to purchase a valve that could be used with a single first stage and also used as part of a doubles set? Since the steel is heavier, I should be able to dump some weight...

Next, does one require a single tank adapter? Is the use of such safe? Essentially, I would rather use an adapter than spend between $280 and $340 (prices from extreme-exposure) for a wing that is useful solely with a single tank vs a wing intended for doubles use. I understand that economizing can be dangerous, but I'm not quite rich yet :wink:

Finally, if I can't find a LDS to help, is it OK to purchase online from extreme-exposure, or am I better off driving to a different LDS? I could try some in Milwaukee, or maybe drive out to Mike F's shop -- Indiana isn't *too* far, but it certainly is an all weekend trip.

Anything else that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance,

-earl-

Edit: One last thing: I wnet through every thread for the last 12 pages in this forum; please don't hate me if this has been covered before.

earl once bubbled...
So, I'm a newly minted diver w/ 35+ dives under my belt.
Earl, if there is not a DIR shop close and you do not have any DIR buddies to help you get started then you need to slow this down a little... buying equipment won't get you there and as you have said... you don't want to buy stuff you won't end up using. The gear you have now will suffice for gaining experience and with the addition of a long hose and necklaced backup you could take the DIRF in it.... no it's not optimal for it but you could do it. The skills are what counts at this point.

I would suggest you take the weekend trip to see Mike F. in fact take a couple of weekends... and let him give you some personal pointers.... (reimbursing him for his time would be the proper thing to do... especially since you will be saving time, money and aggravation in the long run.)

Thanks for the advice.

There isn't a huge rush to get equipment; nonetheless, as I mentioned, I'd like to take a DIRF class. Having read the various "DIRF Reactions" threads posted here, it seems like a fairly large amount of practice is in order -- preferably in equipment that I'll be using in the long run. Perhaps in Lost Yooper's thread -- or maybe a different one -- someone mentioned that he had just switched to BP/wings the day before classes and had to abort because of lack of buoyancy control. I'd prefer not to waste my money and my, my buddy's, and the instructor's time like that...

Edit: And to be perfectly frank, not that I'm accusing anyone on this board of dishonesty, it's always nice to have an opinion WRT gear from someone who has absolutely no financial interest in my decisions.

-earl-

earl once bubbled...
There isn't a huge rush to get equipment
Good.... as long as you are not in an equipment frenzy.

Lost Yooper had been diving a BP/wing for quite some time before the DIRF... so it was somebody elses post you read.

I think it is fine to get the bp/wing before the DIRF but it is important to have it set up right... and this probably won't happen until the DIRF unless you are connected with a DIR shop or know a GUE trained diver.

Still it is possible to get started and I would advise that if you can afford it to get the rig from EE as they have a *30 day money back if you don't like it* deal.

The fact that you mention a buddy is encouraging... I think this is more important that any other piece of *equipment* and developing a DIR team approach to diving is central to the philosophy.

earl once bubbled...

Next, it seems that either a stainless steel or aluminum backplate is in order. Is it recommended to purchase this from Halcyon/a Halcyon dealer/FredT (if I have the name correct? And how does one contact him?) How complicated is stringing the webbing if it doesn't come assembled?

Contact me by private message here, or e-mail to ftagge@goldinc.com.

Include a return e-mail address and I'll send you the info, plus some rigging info. Stringing webbing is easier than most people would think, adjusting it takes a bit of "dialing in" that only you can do anyway.

FT

earl,
Come on down and dive with us. You can get some dives under your belt with folks who use this equipment. Should be no problem to give a setup a test run or two. I am trading e-mails with Tyler Moon (after many false leads) trying to iron out plans for a DIRF. Were looking at November (started as September) and hopefuly we'll still get it in this year. Some part of our merry little band is diving somewhere locally about every weekend.

A warning may be in order though...Rumor has it we are not right. We dive all year and sometimes need chain saws to get into the water. After a long hard day of teaching classes, we usually hang out for a couple hours more and get in a couple extra dives. We drive long distances just to take a long boatride, usually being beat by the often rough great lakes seas. Then...at the sacrifice of all remaining warmth and comfort we descent into the inland sea waters to visit old ships that don't float anymore while breathing strange and expensive gasses. We are willing to endure even more harship if a cave is involved. We seem to attract other obviously sick folks who think this is alot of fun.

So... If any of this frightens or upsets you then you might want to steer clear.

Mike,

After that discription...I want to come.

Chad

OK
I should be down your way a bit this winter. A geologist freind is trying to figure out some strange hydrology you have down there and he's having trouble assembling a team of divers who want to dive his caves. It sounds easy to me. He says that some sites don't even require the use of fins or for that matter a mask.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Rumor has it we are not right.
We drive long distances just to take a long boatride
to visit old ships that don't float anymore
more harship if a cave is involved.
attract other obviously sick folks

So... If any of this frightens or upsets you then you might want to steer clear.

Damn! If there was mention of beer in there anywhere I would have been on the phone with my real estate agent!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom