Mucus accumulation during ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I experienced this on dive number 3 of my ow training dives. I did a quick sniff, which caused it to shoot down my throat, which caused a reflexive cough that made me spit out my reg o_O. Now I just do a partial mask flood (if there isn't standing water in there from my facial hair causing leaks) and a nice long clear.

This thread highlights a real good reason never to rinse your mask in the mask bucket.

Blow the mucus into your mask and then clear your mask, it's a bit like living in a snow globe but it will drift away pretty fast :)

I normally only notice it just after hitting the surface. Don't recall much happening under water, but as soon as I hit atmospheric pressure, I've got a few good loogies to get rid of!

The reg will pass it out.

_R

Well, I'm glad that I'm not the only one with this problem. I also feel like I really know all of you now.... :) I clear my mask because of the goop and then as soon as I surface, the first thing I do is send a snot rocket out and have it followed by an ICBM horking.

How very ladylike, eh? :)

Just honk it out and send it flying into the water. Nearly everyone I know comes out of the water like a snotty little kid sooner or later.

Well, I'm glad that I'm not the only one with this problem. I also feel like I really know all of you now.... :) I clear my mask because of the goop and then as soon as I surface, the first thing I do is send a snot rocket out and have it followed by an ICBM horking.

How very ladylike, eh? :)

It is probably very difficult, if not impossible, to be ladylike on a dive boat.

It is probably very difficult, if not impossible, to be ladylike on a dive boat.

I forgot to mention I burp like a college frat boy upon surfacing sometimes. All that air expanding has to go somewhere...Otherwise, I feel nauseated. :) Thankfully, just that end and not the other! There is also the great escape from the wetsuit to go water the ocean.

Back
Top Bottom