Mucus accumulation during ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll actually use (via Dr. consent), a prescription steroidal - Flonase
Flonase is now available at Walmart and Costco by the 3 pack over the counter.

When I am at the surface standing in shallow water or waiting for my turn to go up the ladder into the boat, I move my mask slightly up if safe to do, lower my nose into the water and I let it rip and get all of that junk out of my nose, sinus, throat and whatever!!

One of my scuba friends has an interesting pre-dive maneuver to avoid snot problems. When she's boat-diving well away from shore, she'll enter the water, stick her nose under the surface, inhale a nostril full of seawater, and honk it out. Then she repeats for the other side. It's roughly the equivalent of using a neti pot and will clear your sinuses real good-like... I ain't gonna try it, but she swears by the technique.

One of my scuba friends has an interesting pre-dive maneuver to avoid snot problems. When she's boat-diving well away from shore ( she'll enter the water, stick her nose under the surface, inhale a nostril full of seawater, and honk it out. Then she repeats for the other side. It's roughly the equivalent of using a neti pot and will clear your sinuses real good-like... I ain't gonna try it, but she swears by the technique.

I too have a friend who has been doing this for 40 odd years,(uses the mask as a dish of seawater for honking from), despite insistent well meaning people making him aware of the infection risks.

Do a farmer's blow. Easy peezy.

i take the reg or loop out, snort and spit, and replace reg or loop. all. the. time. i think i'm the queen of snot.

One of my scuba friends has an interesting pre-dive maneuver to avoid snot problems. When she's boat-diving well away from shore, she'll enter the water, stick her nose under the surface, inhale a nostril full of seawater, and honk it out. Then she repeats for the other side. It's roughly the equivalent of using a neti pot and will clear your sinuses real good-like... I ain't gonna try it, but she swears by the technique.
¸
I did it too, if shore was far enough. It really helped me equalizing. Since I managed to learn how to do WTO, I don't bother anymore. I've also noticed that if I don't equalize good enough I will get a nose full of snot, but only on surface. If I did a good job, no or very little snot.

Back
Top Bottom