Mulling over BP/W options...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The "conveniences" part you mention when comparing anything against a one piece webbing is not so much about donn & doff. It's about placing different 'D' ring styles (straight/45 degree/fixed 180/etc to get 'exactly' what you want instead of what's given to you. For me, having the correct 'D' ring styles in different spots is a safety and speed issue. I can't be 'no-look' searching for a folded or stuck D ring on my rear hip. Also, pockets / weights / canisters can be placed how "you want them" not how they are given to you. If you hold 'something' regularly in your left hand (cam/flag/gun) then it make more sense to have a right hand pocket / "D" ring to reach an item.

Placing of the D rings and such doesn't have to be mutually exclusive with a "comfort" harness, depending on brands. Personally, I'm using the Hollis Elite 2 harness system, but I reconfigured it from how it comes stock to have d rings placed like a standard harness. This obviously doesn't work with some of the pack type harnesses where they're sewed in place.

29722704827_e58a365323_b.jpg

The harness I'm using also has all the hardware necessary to run a single webbing harness, so in the future, should I want to transition to a single webbing harness, my cost to convert over is roughly $15 for some webbing. Makes it easy enough to be set up with both options instead of an either or condition.

Why are some placed in the middle? I see what you mean that it'd reduce effective hose length.

I honestly have no idea, I believe that some tech divers may want the option to move the inflator hose to the right side.... but I thought that was on double bladder wings. I really have no idea but have seen other wings that are center mounted.

The shoulder straps with the quick releases makes it easier to get out of the rig in the water to pass up to the boat. The straps are stiff enough that putting it on while seated on a bench is not a problem. I assume it would be easier to put on as well, but I don't think I have ever used them for that.

The Transpac is just more comfortable, not necessarily for long walks or hikes, just more comfortable. An unpadded back plate is great once your in the water. Trim on either feels natural. Neither are uncomfortable by any means. Tanks are stable on both and I don't notice any particular amount of "roll."

Weight wise, the waist pockets on the Transpac are Velcro and are quick release by pulling the flaps and the pockets are upside down so weight should fall free. The Transplate are typical snap in quick releases, but a little small for cold water weight requirements. The way I figure, if I'm in a 7mill, I don't have to dump much weight to become positively buoyant so if I dump 18# out of 24, I'm still going to float. I'm looking at attaching some military surplus pockets to my plate to hold extra weight.

Hardware- none of my local shops have very much, but through the magic of UPS, Dive Gear Express, Pirahna dive Supply, and Northeast Scuba Supply, among others will have everything and anything you can imagine to your door within a week. Northeast had Transplate harnesses for $75 last time I checked. Hardware is relatively cheap if you just want to try something.

im not selling the BP/W koolaid, I love my Scubapro Glide x too, diving in either of the BP/Ws I have just feels more natural, takes less weight, easier to pack, and is truly my setup.

See if you can pooldive one locally and you will see what I mean. Another option would be a back inflate BCD like a Ranger or Nighthawk. Probably the same feel, just less work to set it up for your personal choice.

Good luck with your search. The options, brands, and configurations are absolutely limitless, but when you find the combination that works for you(until you change it) it's worth it!

Jay

Worth noting that if you're not running an sta, separating the wing likely involves unthreading the cam bands which can be a much more time consuming project, as they get threaded through the wing and backplate instead of just the sta.
Not true with DSS. You simply pull the wing off and leave the cambands in place.

I started with a comfort style harness. After a few months I removed the chest strap. Then I got tired of dealing with the shoulder pads, they twisted every time I put on the rig so I took those off. Never missed either.

Then when it came time to redo the webbing I went with the one piece continuous. I do miss the quick release. They are handy with shoulder issues which I have. So instead I just chicken wing to get out of it. The only time it ever really matters is it you need to get out of the rig at the surface. Then indeed the quick release buckle is golden.

Next time I redo the webbing I think I will put on a single quick release buckle.

Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe BC Open Box/Demo/Like New
I am an inch shorter and a couple pounds lighter and this BC will fit NP

I have had this on two warm water trips and 5mm local lake diving, no complaints and hits all your points. The above deal says open box but the one I received was brand new as far as I could tell. Add the Zeagle Zip Touch 20# pockets for another 90 and you have the whole setup, no hassles. Packs like a dream, light and quick dry.

@The Chairman uses one as well and has good things to say about it.

The name "Single Tank Adaptor" suggests the reason.
  • Many and perhaps most backplates and wings have slots that allow you to thread cambands through so you don't need the STA. The assembly attaches to the tank like a regular BCD. The problem with that is the single point of contact on the tank surface, which can cause the tank to wobble as you dive. Some wing makes have added "wobble stops," ridges that help hold the tank in place. The degree to which that works varies. For this system to work, the slots in the wing must match the slots in the BP, and you can guarantee that if you get both from the same company.

We have a backplate made by Zeagle with slots for cam bands and though it has flats down the center have never used a STA. If the bands are properly adjusted the cylinder will not wobble.

BP without slots for cam bands are old school. In fact, I am not sure any one makes a BP without slots for cam bands. In some ways, STA are superfluous except maybe for really big cylinders.

They don't seem to think a STA is needed if just using single-tank all the time, but the 2nd bit is what I'm talking about now...do most BP/W owners break the thing down when they travel?

With a jacket BCD, I historically opened a big suitcase, laid it in, packed other gear around it, zipped up, weighed with portable scale to make sure < 50 lbs., and called it good.

Do BP/W owners typically do the same thing, or is there more hassle involved?

I typically disassemble it all for storage anyway, so when I pack it's already in pieces: a bag of shiny metal bits, the webbing and cambands rolled or folded. It packs tighter that way, I can get all my gear in an almost-regulation-size carry-on backpack (w/ accel fins). Whether that's more hassle is in the eye of the beholder.

(w/ accel fins)
They really make a difference intrying to get "stuff" into a carry-on sized bag.

@dmaziuk :No problems so far with the TSA (or other airport securitt) with a metal BP in carry-on?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom