Suggestion Multi Quote?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Willuw

Willuw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Didnt see this suggested before..
But what about the multi-quote plugin? I see a lot of people here who will make a new message for every person they have to quote and respond to which leads to long, slightly messy threads..

With multi-quote you can click each post you want to quote then click "reply" and it will have all the quote tags in the reply so you can respond to everyone in one post :D

It will probably have to wait for vB 3.6 where it's a standard feature.

NitroWill:
But what about the multi-quote plugin? I see a lot of people here who will make a new message for every person they have to quote and respond to which leads to long, slightly messy threads.
You mean not everyone opens every quote link in a new tab and copies the quote from each into one message for final editing and replying? :wink:
El Orans:
I guess I'll keep doing it the current-fashioned way for now. :D

(Posts like this are what multi-quote will help people do more easily, right?)

ClayJar:
You mean not everyone opens every quote link in a new tab and copies the quote from each into one message for final editing and replying? :wink:I guess I'll keep doing it the current-fashioned way for now. :D

(Posts like this are what multi-quote will help people do more easily, right?)

How do you do that? Inquiring minds want to know.

I simply opened each "QUOTE" link in a new tab (or a new window). To do that, you can right-click and choose "Open Link in New Tab" (Firefox),
"Open Link in New Window" (Firefox), "Open in New Window" (Internet Explorer), et cetera. Alternately, Control-Clicking opens a link in a new tab, and Shift-Clicking opens a link in a new window.

Once you have all the quote links opened, you just copy each and paste it into one common window.

So, if you have two quote windows open:
Code:
[plain][QUOTE=El Orans]It will probably have to wait for vB 3.6 
where it's a standard feature.[/QUOTE]
[/plain]
-and-
Code:
[plain][QUOTE=joystershell]How do you do that?  Inquiring minds want to know.[/QUOTE]
[/plain]

...you simply copy and paste into one window, so you get something that looks like:

Code:

[QUOTE=joystershell]How do you do that?  Inquiring minds want to know.[/QUOTE][/plain]

Then just edit and reply, just as normal:

Code:
I can hardly wait!

[QUOTE=joystershell]How do you do that?  Inquiring minds want to know.[/QUOTE]
It's not very hard, I don't think.  Let me show you.[/plain]

And you end up with:

El Orans:
I can hardly wait!
joystershell:
How do you do that? Inquiring minds want to know.
It's not very hard, I don't think. Let me show you.
(Does that make sense?)

Also, you have a 15 minute window to make changes to your post.

Quote the first message, post it.

Quote the second message, edit your first post.

Le voilà!

El Orans:
Also, you have a 15 minute window to make changes to your post.

Quote the first message, post it.

Quote the second message, edit your first post.

Le voilà!
Of course, if it's a fast-moving thread, you may want to compose your complete post before submitting it, as your edited-in additions are highly likely to be overlooked, as your post may be nowhere near the bottom of the thread by the time you finish editing.

(Additionally, if anyone was replying to your post between your initial submission and any later edits, now they'll have to edit any responses to your edits into their post, which may have already gathered responses of its own. From personal experience, let me say that it can get a mite confusing. :D)

trucker girl:
ClayJar has way too much spare time...

:)
Is it *my* fault that I can't get anyone to go make an ISOSAD dive? :D

(Plus, I'm migrating all the data from a dying server to a new one, and it's *boring*.)

Back
Top Bottom