murder @ french reef??????????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damn, I'm glad I don't live in America.

I'd be afraid to walk out the door, let alone dive with somebody.
Imagine you get this cowboy buddy and he dies because of his own stupidity.
It'll be likely that you get sued. Not saying you'd get convicted, but the fact that you get sued for someones death is worse enough...

Then there are these good samaritan laws that protect those who help.

There is no dress-code law for women in Belgium. There is however a law that says you can't dress in anything.....

HA HA HA! There is no dress code law in Belgium? Then you write that? That is so funny on so many levels. When you regulate what people can wear...that's a dress code. Duh! That BS about ID is just that. This should not be difficult to understand. I hate it when FOS self righteous Euros lecture us on how our laws in the US are so draconian especially when they live in Belgium, home of the Euro legal beagles. :mooner:

HA HA HA! There is no dress code law in Belgium? Then you write that? That is so funny on so many levels. When you regulate what people can wear...that's a dress code. Duh! That BS about ID is just that. This should not be difficult to understand. I hate it when FOS self righteous Euros lecture us on how our laws in the US are so draconian especially when they live in Belgium, home of the Euro legal beagles. :mooner:

Quite true, laws and regulations are pretty complicated in Europe. Red tape and stupid regulations enforced by a plethora of civil servants are common. Even more so since the formation of the European Community, another level of government.

A recent survey in the UK asked if immigration was out of control...?
click...

68% answered: Yes!

32% answered: لا لا على الاطلاق

:trainwreck:

Personally, I think the M.E. did a major disservice in doubting what his gut knew to be true and what was all but explicitly confirmed by the Navy Dive Expert. The idea that the tank being off is minor is also very disturbing.

Makes me wonder why this Detective Smith would be working a dive incident investigation. To me, it's like finding a person dead in car, at the bottom of a hill, with no keys in the ignition. No, not "minor" at all.

What troubles me even more about this is that it again marginalizes and minimizes diving as a sport. The general, non-diving public already has many misconceptions and skepticism toward diving. It's a disservice to all divers when comments are made that had this occurred on land, it would've been a homicide. The implication that for some "diving reason," it's more reasonable to suspect some kind of specific dive-related incident (equip failure, diver error, AGE, etc) rather than what the evidence seems to more clearly lend itself to.

Some may appreciate the lack of government- even the police- intrusion into diving but this actually does nothing to help the diving community. The lack of scrutiny and knowledgeable investigation here is troubling. It's almost like when police neglect to sufficiently treat a crime occurring in an urban area dominated by minorities; the suspicion is "that's just how life is there" and they move on.

This is not just how diving is.

To those amazed that the operator was included. I recently heard about a huge judgement against one of the two manufacturers of Diprivan (Michael Jackson's milk). One of the companies, based in Israel had a 200 million dollar judgement against them in the case of the contaminated needles in the ambulatory surgery center in Nevada(I think). What was their involvement? You sell a product and it is used in a manner that exposes others to Hepatitis C. This is completely outside of anything they had any control over. Their response has been to terminate making this very safe anesthetic drug. This is a case of hungry lawyers and greedy patients now making the practice of anesthesia less safe. I guess that is helping people!!

What has really struck me about this is the medical examiner. Cause of death - undetermined. Not drowning? So that means she did not drown? If it were on land it would be clearly strangulation? If the cause of death was not drowning, then the strangulation had nothing to with the water getting into her lungs, so why the confusion between land and water?

The lack of scrutiny and knowledgeable investigation here is troubling. It's almost like when police neglect to sufficiently treat a crime occurring in an urban area dominated by minorities; the suspicion is "that's just how life is there" and they move on.

This is not just how diving is.
"Forget it, Jake. It's scuba diving."

There was a long discussion subsequent to this death, at http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/258906-diver-dies-french-reef-keys.html , before the homicide angle arose.

Public reports of circumstances from the dive through the recovery were slim and unclear. The two divers were located and retrieved by the Florida Fish&Game and maybe CG, quite some time after going missing, if I recall. It's not hard to imagine that the dive op would be sued under the initial gross outline of events, but the implication of foul play is quite a spoiler. It'll be interesting to see where this goes next.

Back
Top Bottom