My Bud Flooded His DC310 - Sand in O-ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
From the DC310 manual, page 58: "Our research and testing shows that 99% of leaks are the result of not cleaning or caring for the O-ring." Lot's of info on that page - a must read. :eyebrow:

Also see page 91 of DC500 manual for helpful suggestions. Also on page 94: "4. Replace O-ring every year to ensure proper seal. Only use approved SeaLife O-ring designed for the DC500. Replacement O-rings are available at your local authorized SeaLife dealer." I mentioned this to my local dive shop yesterday in telling this story as the manager was surprised. Her understanding was that you never replace nor add silicone grease to a Sealife o-ring; if the silicone o-ring is damaged, return housing to Sealife for servicing. That's seems to be the case for the Dc310 and before, but not for the DC500 and after - is that correct?! Page 95 has illustrated instructions on replacement.

Ooops, this is interesting from page 104 - never noticed this before: "3. It is recommended to leave the closing latch UNLATCHED during long term storage. This will help preserve the original shape of the O-ring and latch mechanism." I need to go unlatch mine.

Second question: Does Sealife have any discount replacement program for this? He also flooded his computer the same day (not a good day for him at all) but I had a spare computer to loan him for the trip (I wouldn't loan him my spare dive camera) but Oceanic is going to replace is for 25% of retail.

thanks!

Don... have him call Pioneer Research. I've heard they go out of their way on support.

I needed a new screw mount for my strobe for example, and they sent me one for free.

BTW.... looks like I need to go unlatch my housing also for long term storage. I'm glad you posted that.

Didn't know about the long term storage thing... What do they classify as "log term"?

Don: Do you put the manual under your pillow when you go to sleep? Haha.

From the DC310 manual, page 58: "Our research and testing shows that 99% of leaks are the result of not cleaning or caring for the O-ring." Lot's of info on that page - a must read. :eyebrow:

Also see page 91 of DC500 manual for helpful suggestions. Also on page 94: "4. Replace O-ring every year to ensure proper seal. Only use approved SeaLife O-ring designed for the DC500. Replacement O-rings are available at your local authorized SeaLife dealer." I mentioned this to my local dive shop yesterday in telling this story as the manager was surprised. Her understanding was that you never replace nor add silicone grease to a Sealife o-ring; if the silicone o-ring is damaged, return housing to Sealife for servicing. That's seems to be the case for the Dc310 and before, but not for the DC500 and after - is that correct?! Page 95 has illustrated instructions on replacement.

We do suggest replacing the camera housing O-ring every year just to be safe, but that does not mean o-rings older than one year will leak. In fact, we have performed 100’s of underwater tests with older o-rings without any problems. The most common cause for a flooded housing is not cleaning the O-ring or not inspecting/replacing a damaged o-ring.

Second question: Does Sealife have any discount replacement program for this? He also flooded his computer the same day (not a good day for him at all) but I had a spare computer to loan him for the trip (I wouldn't loan him my spare dive camera) but Oceanic is going to replace is for 25% of retail.

thanks!

Sorry, no upgrade discount programs are available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom