My Certification experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumaresq

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here, though I've been hanging around for a little over a month. This is a long post I'm sorry about that! I wasn't going to post, but this weekend I finished my open water course and I thought my experience might be helpful to those thinking (or having trouble with) getting certified.

I decided in March that I was going to take up diving; my reason is a little different. Every year my parents take all their children (and their families skiing). I absolutely love this vacation; an all-expense paid ski trip is pretty hard to beat when you love skiing as much as I do. Anyway this year my parents announced that next year we would not be going skiing because my cousin is getting married in Jamaica and they had decided to do that as a vacation instead. I was very upset, I love the ski trip and I am NOT a beach person!
Then I was at work and a college of mine was talking about his experiences while learning to diving, I'd never really thought about diving before, but I've lived around boats and swimming all my life, I'd never even considered what was below the surface! I said to myself, diving, that's something that would make this trip to Jamaica more interesting. Also my parents in-law have a house in Florida, there has be some good diving there!

I did a bit of research and discovered there was a dive shop close to my house, so I registered for an open water course that would be (mostly) in April. On the first day of the course when I took that first breath under water I was positive I was going to love this sport. I found the pool portion of the course very easy and the knowledge tests mostly seemed like common sense. When I was younger I was a certified swimming instructor and life guard, and though I don't swim much anymore, I'm still a "strong" swimmer.

The dive shop I was using had a few dates to do the open water dives at Dutch Springs, and our class mostly decided to do the course on the weekend of June 4th. Before the dives I bought my own BC regulator and computer. I had decided at this point that I was going to do a lot of diving must of it in New Jersey and some in Nova Scotia (where I grew up and spend a portion of every summer).

The night before the dives I was so excited I was unable to sleep. I figure I might have drifted off a few times, but nothing really restful. Come Saturday morning, I'm not as tired as I would have expected, and there's no way I'm backing out so I show up at site.

Dive number 1: I had a HUGE problem descending, I had 24lb, and I was also having issues equalizing. Once I was under water I had a lot of fun and had reasonable buoyancy control (I was able to swim at about 25 feet).

Dive number 2: I now have 26lb of weight and I had less trouble descending, I don't remember much of this dive, except that it was COLD!

End of Day one. That night I slept a lot as you might expect :)

Dive number 3: This is our first dive without something a rope to hold, I could not descend, I expend a huge amount of energy to descend. Eventually I manage to sink but I've got breathing issues. I manage to get myself under control enough to do a mask flood and some swimming around, but after some swimming we are to return to the platform and do two exercises, one is fin pivot doing an oral inflate, the other is the controlled emergency ascent. For whatever reason I start to panic and burn through my oxygen as I watch the computers pressure go down I start to panic more. I cannot get calm, so I signal to one of the assistants that I need to surface. I do, and even though he tries to convince me to go back down I refuse. At this point I think I'm going to give up on diving.

I don't even attempt dive 4. I go home.

I spend the next day or so thinking about I should do, I know nothing was actually wrong, and I just needed to be calm, maybe work on depending a little... So I reach out to my instructor and ask her if I can get a private lesson. She offers a lot of options including some more pool dives, which I am not interested in, I need to get used to having the 7mm farmer john and all the other gear, which I pretty much can't do in a pool. In the end we decide that probably a private lesson just doing the 3rd and 4th dives with a bit of work on the descent is probably enough.

We arrange for the lessons to happen Sunday afternoon on the 3rd of July. Again the night before I am unable to sleep well, this time because I'm anxious, not so much excited.

Dive 3: I'm now using 35lb of weigh, including some ankle weights which are helping a lot. Decent is easy, mask flood causes me to panic a little but I was easily able to get control and finish the clear. The fin pivot is easy, the first breath I didn't want to take the regulator out but after the first one I have no issues. Since it is just the two of us we have a lot of time to swim around a look at stuff, this is HUGE fun. Now time for the controlled emergency ascent, for some reason this has been bothering me, but it was easy to do, I started to run out of air near the surface so at about 4 feet I had kick a little harder, but not enough to make it a dangerous ascent.

Dive 4: Ok at this point it is easy, I'm down to 33lbs and the decent is easy the mask removal and replacement was a little unnerving but no real issues, I know I need to practice this a bit more so I'm comfortable with the cold water on my face :) Then swimming with the compass and the safety stop are easy.

After the fourth dive I really didn't want to get out of the water, I was tempted to pay my instructor to do a pleasure dive with me, but felt that I really should get home to my family (and sleep) I have 2 hour drive ahead of me :)
I
can't wait to get back in the water, and I am so glad I kept working on it. Now I just need to spend some time getting my weight down, I know I'm over weighted because I need a lot of air in my BC once I'm at depth (damn the wetsuit compresses so much!). I also need to work on the flood mask, but all in all I'm feeling much more confident! I’ve started doing the book work for the advanced open water dives, and I’m hoping to get a pleasure dive (or 5) in the next few weeks. Now I just need a second job to support this expensive habit!

--Andrew

Congrats, Andrew! :clapping:

Now you can go to your profile and change the number of dives you have . . . :)

So glad to hear that you and your instructor worked something out that did the trick for you. It is a very difficult transition from the warm, clear pool to cold water and low visibility -- I know that we rack our brains constantly about how to make that transition easier for people, here in Puget Sound. But the fact is that you were right -- it was the heavy exposure protection and the conditions to which you had to accustom yourself, and clearly, you got that job done!

If you could descend with 24 pounds and a full tank 30 pounds is likely enough weight for you. Do keep working on your weighting. Getting it right will make your diving much easier. Being cold may make it hard for you to equalize. It may be worth trying new exposure gear in the pool prior to taking it to open water. Good wetsuit fit, a hood and good gloves will do a lot to keep you warm. Also if your wetsuit is too tight and restricting your breathing that may be a source of anxiety that ultimately triggers panic. If your feel that coming on slow even breathing, slowing down and thinking about the situation is a good way to dial things back. In any case congratulations for making it through. Open water courses have a lot of new skills and information to absorb in a short time.

Congrats!

I had the same issue after my pool dives. Prior to my OW stuff I paid a separate instructor to give me a lesson in my BCD (DR Harness and he used BP/W, so some of the very basic concepts applied. Also got my buoyancy down and then practiced some skills I was having trouble with since my load out was different than the others (weight harness instead of belt and such).

As you found out, choosing good instructors is the thing. My original Instructors actually worked F/T and since the OW trip was about a week away they couldn't get time off for the needed pool session.

Now, you will discover one thing about SCUBA, its an expensive and addicting sport to get into. Have fun under the waves and just remember to relax.

It sounds like you could be overweighted. Review your OW class materials on how to conduct a proper weight check.
My OW instructor had us do weight checks at the beginning and end of every class dive. Proper weighting is that important.
You'll be surprised how much easier it is to maintain buoyancy control when your weighting is optimized.
It's a safety issue.

Congrats on finishing the course.

Last edited:
Congrats on finishing the course. It is encouraging to read as a current OW student. I dove in Negril in February and really liked it.

I join the other posters in congratulating you on your success! Good for you as well for acquiring your own gear- your will be a more comfortable and more active diver for having it, and that is the key to your rapid growth already- being an active diver. As you observed, you were much more comfortable on dive 4 and 5 than 1 and 2. Heck, you even started HAVING FUN !!. Your will have more fun with each additional dive. Sorry you were cold. Consider a dry or semi-dry suit in cold water. Also consider as an alternate to the 7 mil, a non-permeable hooded vest under a 5 mil. That is what I use in cold water (down to 55 F) and with 3 mil gloves and 5 mil boots, I am toasty warm. Remember, you are breathing air, not oxygen ( slip up in your post.) As to weighting, use what you need, but overweighting will make buoyancy control more difficult as there is more air in the BCD at depth, expanding and compressing with each change in depth. Be sure to do a good buoyancy check every time you change exposure gear and go from fresh to salt water. Write down what you use with what gear in your log book each dive, for future reference. and... Happy Diving!
DivemasterDennis

Congrats. I'm up to 14 dives total and I'm hooked. What a great way to spend vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom