My Dilemma - Wakatobi/Bali or North Sulawesi??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philip2711

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I am going bonkers :confused:(UK English for bonkers!) trying to decide what to do! Can anyone out there set me on the straight and narrow please.
After much research, choices for March dive break are narrowed down to just 2.
One of them is a 7 day trip to Wakatobi followed by 8/9 days in Bali area,
Second is North Sulawesi splitting same time between Lembeh Straits and Bunaken/Manado. I am travelling 'solo' from UK.
The dilema? There's a big difference in price - North Sulawesi being up to $1200 cheaper than Waka/Bali combo.
All my instincts tell me that I can't justify the additional cost, not just to myself, but also to the stay at home non-diving wife. I know that North Sulawesi will be fantastic but is Wakatobi a "if you've got the chance, just DO IT and GO" type of site?
Am 56, I don't feel that the clock ticking but you never know what tomorrow brings.
What should I do and Why?

Thanks folks,

philip2711
"there's an awful lot of ocean to dive"
"why cruise when you can dive?"

Never been to Wakatobi, but been to N Sulawesi & Bali a few times,solo.
There are some very friendly resorts in Bunaken which are great for solo divers,its also very cheap , approx $30 for accom +food and about $25 per dive. Bangka is a bit more expensive.
I would recommend n.Sulawesi ( Bunaken, Bangka & Lembeh) are all close by and have excellent diving. Also the volcanos & highlands are worth a day or 2 to explore.
$1200 goes a long way in Indonesia so that saving is considerable.

Hello,

I am going bonkers :confused:(UK English for bonkers!) trying to decide what to do! Can anyone out there set me on the straight and narrow please.
After much research, choices for March dive break are narrowed down to just 2.
One of them is a 7 day trip to Wakatobi followed by 8/9 days in Bali area,
Second is North Sulawesi splitting same time between Lembeh Straits and Bunaken/Manado. I am travelling 'solo' from UK.
The dilema? There's a big difference in price - North Sulawesi being up to $1200 cheaper than Waka/Bali combo.
All my instincts tell me that I can't justify the additional cost, not just to myself, but also to the stay at home non-diving wife. I know that North Sulawesi will be fantastic but is Wakatobi a "if you've got the chance, just DO IT and GO" type of site?
Am 56, I don't feel that the clock ticking but you never know what tomorrow brings.
What should I do and Why?

Thanks folks,

philip2711
"there's an awful lot of ocean to dive"
"why cruise when you can dive?"

Follow your instinct and go to Sulawesi... you won't be disappointed

Philip - I've been to both locations....would never do Wakatobi again - beautiful, stunning but saw the same environment up in N. Sulawesi - look up Gangga Island. The price cannot compare - we pd half in N. Sulawesi and thought it was a more special experience. You must dive Lembeh!! It was beyond words. We stayed at Lembeh Resort. Going back to both resorts this summer. Wakatobi is just too remote and too $$ for what it provides - sorry - just our opinion.
Cheers, Nikki from Colorado

I think I can help you. You chose one, then send me to the other. I'll take lots of High Def video and give you a finished product. That way you'll get both... for the price of two. Seriously, hope you are able to come to a decision that will bring you a fantastic trip.

in march, i ll go somewhere else. in may i would go to Gangga island and bring the wife for one week + a few days in toraja land.
Great dives at the good season.
hot nights.
And the right to take another break, another time

Philip - I've been to both locations....would never do Wakatobi again - beautiful, stunning but saw the same environment up in N. Sulawesi - look up Gangga Island. The price cannot compare - we pd half in N. Sulawesi and thought it was a more special experience. You must dive Lembeh!! It was beyond words. We stayed at Lembeh Resort. Going back to both resorts this summer. Wakatobi is just too remote and too $$ for what it provides - sorry - just our opinion.
Cheers, Nikki from Colorado
BellesMom - that was just the advice I was looking for - someone who's been both places, not trying to sell me anything! Thanks sooo much! N.Sulawesi it is.

in march, i ll go somewhere else. in may i would go to Gangga island and bring the wife for one week + a few days in toraja land.
Great dives at the good season.
hot nights.
And the right to take another break, another time
Hallboy - if only life was so easy to be able to do that! Don't worry about the good wife though, she does all right! Thanks!

I think I can help you. You chose one, then send me to the other. I'll take lots of High Def video and give you a finished product. That way you'll get both... for the price of two. Seriously, hope you are able to come to a decision that will bring you a fantastic trip.
drBill,- Nice try! - and yes, seems that with no one voting for Wakatobi I'm off to Manado / Bunaken / Lembeh

Back
Top Bottom