My Dilemma - Wakatobi/Bali or North Sulawesi??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never been to Wakatobi, but been to N Sulawesi & Bali a few times,solo.
There are some very friendly resorts in Bunaken which are great for solo divers,its also very cheap , approx $30 for accom +food and about $25 per dive. Bangka is a bit more expensive.
I would recommend n.Sulawesi ( Bunaken, Bangka & Lembeh) are all close by and have excellent diving. Also the volcanos & highlands are worth a day or 2 to explore.
$1200 goes a long way in Indonesia so that saving is considerable.
Kevster, thanks for taking time out to reply - seems that SB has helped me find the good decision. N. Sulawesi it is....

I've been through this debate myself. Each time I've passed on Wakatobi. Though I've heard nothing but good things about Wakatobi, I've never heard anything that made me feel it was someplace I couldn't miss. Lembeh, on the other hand, is someplace that really shouldn't be missed by any serious diver.

Philip - happy to share some photos with you if you wish of both resorts and underwater....let me know!!

Nikki

Philip - happy to share some photos with you if you wish of both resorts and underwater....let me know!!

Nikki
Hi Nikki - no need for that but shout if you put them up on Flickr / Facebook or anything similar. Could start a whole new session on UW camera (I use standard digital compact Olympus SP-350 8Mg pixel) and am using the money 'saved' on not going to Wakatobi to but external flash and housing - somehow figure that it will add some depth for UW photography compared to integrated flash alone. We shall see.....
Interesting to see that not one person has come back saying 'go to Wakatobi' so my mind is made up and now just sorting out resorts - am aiming for mid range places such as TwoFish in Bunaken and BlackSands in Lembeh. Do you think it matters in which order I should dive them and what the balance should be i.e. equal amount of time in each area? Your thoughts would be appreciated.....

I've been through this debate myself. Each time I've passed on Wakatobi. Though I've heard nothing but good things about Wakatobi, I've never heard anything that made me feel it was someplace I couldn't miss. Lembeh, on the other hand, is someplace that really shouldn't be missed by any serious diver.
Hi Reuben,

As you may have seen - no one voted for Wakatobi so will put my trust in the forum equivalent of 'phone a friend' - am booking flights, resorts etc this weekend. Thanks for your response in any case - effort much appreciated

Philip

so my mind is made up and now just sorting out resorts - am aiming for mid range places such as TwoFish in Bunaken and BlackSands in Lembeh. Do you think it matters in which order I should dive them and what the balance should be i.e. equal amount of time in each area? Your thoughts would be appreciated.....

Don't think it matters in which order. Manado airport is abt 35-45mins from the Manado City harbour, Bunaken is abt an hr fr the harbour. Bitung Jetty is more than 1.5hr fr airport & Lembeh is a short 15mins/20mins. Bitung to Manado City harbour is abt 2hrs. We did Lembeh, then Bunaken... The resorts can arrange all the transfers for u...
It really depends on the things u would like to see... I prefer Lembeh, I think the dive sites are more varied. There are critters at Bunaken too, we saw a couple of species of pygmy seahorses... The 2Fish website s a gd guide on the things u would see & they have dive sites description for both Lembeh & Bunaken...
I would say that 2Fish Bunaken is quite basic (esp the food & no hotwater in the garden room) BUT diving & guides are GOOD! So we are quite glad that we didn't choose the more expensive room, so the amount we pay for the room & food (full-board) was quite reasonable...

I would save the best for last i.e Lembeh. If you do Lembeh first it may be hard to leave!!
I stayed at NAD Lembeh, which i thought was excellent value for money. Nice small resort.
Just beware what diving in Lembeh is going to be like. Viss 5-10 m, some sites have a lot of garbage.... There were a few divers at the resort that left after 2 days to go back to Bangka.
I have stayed at 2 fish in Bunaken several times, it is a bit basic but great value & friendly.
If you are going for 2 weeks, i would suggest you look at 3 dive days Bunaken,3/4 dive days Bangka & 7 days Lembeh...

Just got back from Lembeh loved it (trip report posted). Did Wakatobi in Oct....boring....but I really like Bali good diving.

hi kevster .. thank. you are the only one, which advice diving in bangka aswell in north sulawesi ..
i agree with you, to see all the TOPS then you have to do island hopping. i would start with lembeh and and the bunaken and at the end Bangka (which is mix between lembeh and bunaken, but with fantastic softcorals and nice white sandy beaches)
two fish is the best place in bunaken island, thats for sure.
if you choose bangka, check http://www.blue-bay-divers.de
see you there
anke

yup, bangka area is nice.
sahuang (don't know how to spell) and batu mandi are my favorit spots. very good diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom