My dive buddy startles me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The swap the dive buddy thing will work. I used to take my wife to the shooting range and realized I was wasting my breath and ammunition. I took her to Frontsight in the Nevada desert for a 4 day (11 to 13 hour days) handgun training class. That broke her dependency on me, and eliminated her ability to shy away from procedure and discipline. There is a difference between me saying and showing something and all the other Male instructors (ex military no less, which is what puts her off about me) saying and showing the same thing.

I now feel quite comfortable that she won't accidentally shoot me and the possibility exists that she is competent enough to protect herself ( and me ) if it comes to it. We go to the range now and she is a regular Annie Oakley.

Also bear in mind that if a situation arises that she may have to resolve to save you, are you willing to put your life in her hands? What would happen if you had a problem and had to make an emergency accent? Would she panic and drown? What would happen to her if you became separated in a current?

My wife does not dive and she should not, because she first seems to struggle with manipulation and proceedure, then panics... that was the handgun issue...

She is a happy "wave watcher" and I'm a happy diver. We can hold hands on the beach.

Hello all - I am the "buddy" referred to in the original post, aka "wife". Scubasteve needed me to check his email and must have forgotten that he made me look like a psycho. I would like to say thank you to all the people who recommended he talk to me and to the ones that said to ditch the wife, well...I suppose it's better for you to be alone seeing that your a-holes. We apparently lack communication skills and/or he's just a jerk wanting a divorce. The one and only time I have ever grabbed him was during a descent with a very low visibility. I grabbed his arm while he was facing me only to be shoved away repeatedly at which point my brother in law took my hand. After a few secs I recovered from my sudden onset of vertigo. Yes, we are new divers but his representation of the actual events are skewed at best. He complains when I don't follow him explicitly and complains if I give him too much attention. It would appear I am in a pickle. I love to dive but every diver I know won't dive with a married woman and my husband apparently has the startle reflex of a newborn. I give up. The only reason I even started diving was for him and his whim but now I am hooked. I think I will just have to join a dive group even though I prefer solo diving. Sorry, it just really hurt me to know that instead of talking to me about this he decided it was much more appropriate to post on the web. Sweet. Sincerely scubasteves soon to be ex:D

I think he owe's you a tropical dive trip for that... :wink:

If he doesnt like you as his buddy, maybe YOU should call your local dive shop, and find a new one.... lots of single, male, good-looking guys to go dive with.

Oh DAMN, Scuba Steve's in BIG TROUBLE, lol...

Hello all - I am the "buddy" referred to in the original post, aka "wife". Scubasteve needed me to check his email and must have forgotten that he made me look like a psycho. I would like to say thank you to all the people who recommended he talk to me and to the ones that said to ditch the wife, well...I suppose it's better for you to be alone seeing that your a-holes. We apparently lack communication skills and/or he's just a jerk wanting a divorce. The one and only time I have ever grabbed him was during a descent with a very low visibility. I grabbed his arm while he was facing me only to be shoved away repeatedly at which point my brother in law took my hand. After a few secs I recovered from my sudden onset of vertigo. Yes, we are new divers but his representation of the actual events are skewed at best. He complains when I don't follow him explicitly and complains if I give him too much attention. It would appear I am in a pickle. I love to dive but every diver I know won't dive with a married woman and my husband apparently has the startle reflex of a newborn. I give up. The only reason I even started diving was for him and his whim but now I am hooked. I think I will just have to join a dive group even though I prefer solo diving. Sorry, it just really hurt me to know that instead of talking to me about this he decided it was much more appropriate to post on the web. Sweet. Sincerely scubasteves soon to be ex:D

I am SO trying not to laugh...I really am. I completely empathize with you, which is why I'm trying desperately not to laugh, but your post is just so damn funny...especially to someone who's been married for 25 years and has dealt with a lot of the same issues (but I'm still here! :wink:). I just have to applaud your great attitude and ability to find the humor in the situation. Good for you.

Now, as to what to do...many of us married couples who went through OW together have had to *learn* how to be buddies. There is so much more involved in trying to buddy with your spouse - so much baggage that doesn't exist when buddying with friends.

Like you, hubby is the one who got me into it...I did it initially for him, not thinking that I'd like it all that much...and I'M the one who fell totally in love with it. It took us a long time to get to the point where we could comfortably buddy together. Part of that was because I became WAY more passionate about it than him, and so I joined some local dive groups and started diving LOTS more than him, and ended up buddying and being mentored by many experienced divers. My skills surpassed his pretty quickly, and then we ended up in a power struggle - I didn't want him to lead the dive, but he wasn't comfortable with ME leading the dive...and that's just one small aspect of the issues we had to work out. There were many others.

Ultimately we decided we WANTED to work them out...and we did, through much trial and error and LOTS of diving, including many "skills & drills" dives - dives we did not for fun, but for the sole purpose of improving our buddy skills. Now, four years later, he is my favorite dive buddy. We're a team: we know each other's gear, practices, habits, hand signals, comfort level. We can speak to each other underwater just with a look. We can anticipate each others' moves. I know his SAC rate (he ALWAYS sucks it down way faster than me! :wink:), and I know at what point he's going to give me the "I'm cold, let's head back to the boat" look. I know where he likes to hang in the water column - I don't have to constantly be searching for him. I tend to lead the dives these days (mainly because I have a camera and I'm looking for things to shoot) and he looks around for the bigger stuff, and he will get my attention away from staring at the little stuff on the reefs if something cool is out there.

I also know that he knows what to do if something goes wrong, and he knows the same about me. I trust him completely...and I sure couldn't say that in the early months of our diving together!

None of this came easily. We worked at it, and spent many hours diving together to get here. But it was WORTH it.

You're very new, and very much at the beginning of this process. Give it time...and lots of dives. Make plans to do skills & drills dives where you plan in advance what you are going to do - work on your navigation, or practice sharing air, or work on your buoyancy. I know it can feel like "wasting" dives, especially if you have to pay to go on a dive boat (we had the luxury of doing beach dives for the cost of just an air fill and the gas to get there)...be sure to plan some fun dives as well, where you use the skills you've been working on. But in the end you'll have the best buddy.

Now if we could just work out our issues as well ABOVE water! :wink: (Sounds like you got some of that to do too....:cool2:)

My vote (if it means anything) is don't dump the guy over this. First of all, he came here looking for help, and isn't that the second step in any recovery issue (first is admitting there's a problem, second is seeking help for it)? Furthermore you're both still anonymous - nobody here or in Texas really knows who you are. My point is it's not like he's been badmouthing you to your friends and it's not all over the internet, it's in a scuba diving forum, and what better place to present issues that arise during scuba diving? He's just been giving his (albeit Texan probably an ex football player - isn't everybody from Texas an ex football player?) point of view of the situation seeking help, but he's seeking help nonetheless so that you two can enjoy diving together. So far most of the advice offered has been that the two of you need to communicate more after the dive. Granted there have been some smartass answers regarding a knives and whatnot, but that's just sh!te talk from the other anonymous people over the web. But maybe that advice (the stuff about communication, not the stuff about knives) also extends to other aspects of your relationship, I don't know you so I don't know. Good luck and happy diving, hopefully to the both of you.

Thanks for your input. My wife actually likes to dive more than I. I think she grabs me more out of wanting to play, or wants me to show her attention. Our last dive she grabbed my arms and wanted a kiss. I guess I am the one that is more concerned about where I am, whats there to see, whats going on, whats happening, how much air I have left, instead of playing. I feel out of control when I am being held on to. Maybe I should loosen up a little.

Yep (to the last sentence.)

scooby.jpg

^^^:rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom