My first time at Dutch Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok - thanks. I was planning on diving a full 5mm suit + 3mm vest/hood combo. I hope that will be enough!

By August, a 5mil will be good to about 40 ft or so . Deeper than that, it gets a bit too cold.

If you're going below 60' for any time at all or below 40 for more than a few minutes, I'd consider renting a 7mil. Nearby is the lehigh valley dive center (you might have to reserve in advance)

I was at DS this weekend. Surface temps were around 70, 65 on the platforms and dropped to around 60 at 30 ft. Quite comfortable in a 7mm farmer john (without hood or gloves)

I have a multi season pass and normally dive there with a 5mm and 3 mm cheater July - October but does get cold below 50 ft like at the Silver Comet. We did our deep dive on the 6x6 truck in August on my AOW a few years ago. 50 degrees sure was cold!! During the DUI Demo Day in May day the water was 48 degrees at about 40 ft. My new TLS-350 just arrived this week. Can't wait.. I'm recovering from Hernia surgery and may be another month before I get back there. Have a dive for me, ok?

George

Well, I'm a bit anxious since my coldest dive has been 75 degrees! I guess I'll spring for a good 7mm since I'm doing 6 dives in 2 days, including a deep dive.

Thanks!

Ok - thanks. I was planning on diving a full 5mm suit + 3mm vest/hood combo. I hope that will be enough!

I would go 7 min (even with the 3)

2 weeks ago we had 51 degrees at 65ft while practicing left bag excercises (at the crane)

I did my check out dives there last November with 49 on the surface and 45 air temp!

Its not that bad with the right thickness suit.

The weekdays have always been the best days for viz!
DSC01024.jpg

DSC01007.jpg

DSC00972.jpg

DSC00934-1.jpg

I was just there this past weekend...

It was actually abnormally warm!!!

64 @ 50ft.
48 @ 90ft.
64 @ 56ft.

Those were the 3 dives I did.

The viz was great all day (30-40 ft.), until the last dive of the day...going to the helicopter, 30 ft. and below viz was maybe 8 feet!! The worst viz I've ever encountered at Dutch!! There were three of us diving during the last dive and many times I couldn't see the 3rd person and the second person was a dark silhoutte.

A 7mil was perfect for the deep dive!! Got a bit warm around 20 ft. & up.

You should have been there in April when the surface temp was about 45 degrees.

Standing around an old charcoal grill is a nice way to warm up your wetsuit after a dive.

April? 45 degrees? Bah.

Go there in January.

Attachments

• img_6020.jpg
    img_6020.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 95
Don't give up on Dutch Springs. I had a similar experience to yours, was diving the Caribbean, decided to dive locally and hated it. A few years later I was taking a class that put me back into the quarry. The class was with Indian Valley Scuba and the great group of people hanging out with the shop made the surface intervals a lot of fun, plus they were able to help me transition to the cool water diving. Through IVS and the Buxmont Dive Club, I also met the Scubaboard DiveNY crew and the made the surface intervals even more fun.

I now actually enjoy diving at Dutch. Yes, it is a bit more work, but a load of fun above and below water can be had with the right buddies!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom