My First Underwater Movie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arkstorm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have two firsts to report: (a) I shot my first underwater videos last week in Cozumel; and (b) I used those clips to produce my first ever movie. See link below.

Footage: All footage shot in Cozumel between December 30, 2010 and January 7, 2011.

Equipment: JVC GZ-HM200 HD Camcorder in an Ikelite housing with external (wet) Ikelite wide-angle lens and a pair of Ikelite Pro-V8 lights.

Software: iMovie 2011.

Any constructive criticism or critique would be greatly appreciated.

YouTube - Cozumel January 2011 - 1080p.mov

Last edited:
Keep in mind that I am very much a rank noob, but I've some comments.

First off... it's unlisted, which is certainly going to limit how many people see it. Was this intentional?

I liked the musical choices. Seemed to fit the clips very well.

I did not like seeing the yellow split fin guy crawling on the reef, or physically pushing around the cow fish.

In a couple of places (I'm thinking of the green and spotted Moray clips) the light seemed too bright, or too spotty. Made me think a diffuser would be a good thing.

Nice work overall. I look forward to seeing more.

Try to keep the sun to your back. The sun will washout/distort when you shoot into it. Also, video light is good to about 6 feet. If your above 70 feet a red filter would be a great tool if the visibilty is good. When it is overcast use the lights. But remember not to use the light with the filter. I got a DVD made by Anne Crawley. It is good, basic information. I think to did a good job with the editing in imovie. Just a tip, try to edit scenes where you end up getting a fin or partial person. Overall, a very nice first project. Hopefully, you catch the video bug full on. nice job

Very impressive for your two firsts.
I'm on my 500th attempt at both and mine are nowhere near as good as your first attempt.

Keep up the great work and keep posting.

Did you know that your video can be viewed from within this forum without having to go to an external link?

I have two firsts to report: (a) I shot my first underwater videos last week in Cozumel; and (b) I used those clips to produce my first ever movie. See link below.

Footage: All footage shot in Cozumel between December 30, 2010 and January 7, 2011.

Equipment: JVC GZ-HM200 HD Camcorder in an Ikelite housing with external (wet) Ikelite wide-angle lens and a pair of Ikelite Pro-V8 lights.

Software: iMovie 2011.

Any constructive criticism or critique would be greatly appreciated.

YouTube - Cozumel January 2011 - 1080p.mov
Hi Arkstorm
Well impressed for 1st go. Just put our 1st attempt on You Tube - Hurghada Blu Loo Diving 2010.mpg (not sure how to do a link) Ours is just with the video part of a digital camera. Anyway at the end of the day, as long as you enjoy the dive and making the video, nothing else really matters.
Have fun, Chris

(not sure how to do a link) Ours is just with the video part of a digital camera. Anyway at the end of the day, as long as you enjoy the dive and making the video, nothing else really matters.
Have fun, Chris

Another great video.
Now I feel I need to pack my gear and head out to Egypt to go do some diving.
What a wonderful dive boat, are they all that nice?

If you place the address of the video between brackets it will embed it on this page.

Like your video Chris.

DMDavid, I tried to embed the video but it did not work. Can you explain again how to do that?

DMDavid, I tried to embed the video but it did not work. Can you explain again how to do that?

You place a bracket like this one [ ] around the letters yt then the address of your video but only the address, so in your video it would be I9Fm6-iB0V8 then you place two more brackets at the end of the address to finish it off with [/ ] the letters yt go just after the foward slash with no spaces.

It's hard to type the actual entry because the website will attempt pickup the code.

Great video!! First time? Really?

I am going to have to start messing around with my iMovie. I just used it for the first time this week and did not know it could do that.

Did you have to do any white balance or other color adjustments with software or was this footage untouched?

Again, nice job.

Back
Top Bottom