My First Underwater Movie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great video!! First time? Really?

I am going to have to start messing around with my iMovie. I just used it for the first time this week and did not know it could do that.

Did you have to do any white balance or other color adjustments with software or was this footage untouched?

Again, nice job.

Thank you.

I didn't do any color or white balance adjustment. I set the camera to auto wb and it did an adequate job. As for adjusting color, iMovie doesn't do great color adjustment so I just cherry picked clips where my lights were actually pointed the right way (an ongoing challenge underwater.)

You place a bracket like this one [ ] around the letters yt then the address of your video but only the address, so in your video it would be I9Fm6-iB0V8 then you place two more brackets at the end of the address to finish it off with [/ ] the letters yt go just after the foward slash with no spaces.

It's hard to type the actual entry because the website will attempt pickup the code.

Ahhh...Now I got it. Thank you.

Hi All - will try to embed film when home. Afraid work has got in the way!! oh well something has to pay for the diving.................
Chris

Great Job for your first attempt but my comments on the video are going to be a bit more harsh. Please take these as constructive criticism. You have alot of talent but I am going to give you some tips to make better videos.

First, please don't harass the fish or eels just to get a shot. Never touch the fish either, they have a mucus coating which protects their skin from infection. Touching them can scrape it off and leave them vulnerable.

Second, the video is just waaaay too long. It would have been much better overall to cut it into 2 or 3 videos. You have to remember that most of your viewers are going to be non-divers and their attention span is short. Give them your best clips and edit out the so-so ones. The section with the turtle at the end is boring and you are harassing him. You have other shots that should be clipped down to 10-20 seconds at most. The rule of editing that was taught to me ---- unless you have footage of something really outstanding, like a shark giving birth, keep the individual clips under 30 seconds.

Third, the octopus night dive section was the best part of the whole video. It would be better as a stand alone video. I actually missed it the first time watching your video as up to that point there wasn't any real excitement and it was long.. so I turned it off. When I saw comments that you had an octopus hunting I went back to watch it.

Lastly, color correction. I am guessing you are leaving on the lights the whole time shooting as the color has an odd greenish or bluish cast on WA shots. It is best to turn off the lights, put on the red filter, and go with that. In fact, I use my red filter 95% of the time as I like the color contrast better, then I do some slight white balancing in editing. I am not familiar with your camcorder, it is possible the funky tint is due to it not having the best low-light abilities. A good editing program can usually help with that.

Okay, hopefully you won't be upset with my critique. I hope you go back and re-edit the video with my tips in mind. I posted my first videos here on SB and on another board and got some harsh criticism, was told to go back and re-edit them. After I licked my wounds, I did what they said. Wow. What a learning experience. I reposted my new videos and got much better feedback, and I LEARNED SO MUCH!!

robin:D

I have two firsts to report: (a) I shot my first underwater videos last week in Cozumel; and (b) I used those clips to produce my first ever movie. See link below.

Footage: All footage shot in Cozumel between December 30, 2010 and January 7, 2011.

Equipment: JVC GZ-HM200 HD Camcorder in an Ikelite housing with external (wet) Ikelite wide-angle lens and a pair of Ikelite Pro-V8 lights.

Software: iMovie 2011.

Any constructive criticism or critique would be greatly appreciated.

YouTube - Cozumel January 2011 - 1080p.mov

Everyone has to start somewhere and this is your first underwater video.

Glad you have shared it with us on Scubaboard. It is an honor to watch.

Remember with a little voice over narrative you can always tell a story with your powerful visual images.

I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

Go DIVIN'

:D

Here goes with embedding video...

Nope not working - will try again

Hi Arkstorm and DM David
Not having any luck embedding this video...
I put in like that. The dots are the full words of hurghada blu loo diving 2010 as you said can't actually show me. What am doing wrong???
Regards Chris

This is the url of your video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxhdlmfjPVQ

The part to embed is after the v= - not your title.

Like this: [yt]NxhdlmfjPVQ[/yt]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom