My Gear list thus far - tell me where I can save some money

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In regards to your experience. I'm glad they are working. Note in all my posts I didn't bash Hog (until now). I just stated for the money he'd be better served buying a reg set with a proven track record.

Tell us about that reg with a proven track record with not a single blemish.

Tell us about that reg with a proven track record with not a single blemish.

Show me how many deep dives and cold water dives Hog has compared to Apeks. 30 years Apeks has been doing it and doing it well.

Ill get off this wagon. I stand by my recommendation that Apeks is a better reg set than Hog, and given the pricing available it was a better choice. But the thing is its not my choice. I'm sure the OP will find his choice the best.

First, I'm sorry for attributing incorrect quotes to you. It's easily done when several attack at the same time with the same lines.

I don't buy the car analogy but since you went there... even Mercedes understands their brand is in trouble. They are introducing the CLA starting at $30,000 to go after the younger generation. There is change coming in this industry... I'm glad I'm not a "pro" and "vested" in the status quo.

FWIW, there's no doubt that Apeks is a good cold water reg. But they don't have any magical secrets that no one else can't reproduce. Regulator design isn't rocket science.

http://precisiondiving.net/blog/product-review-hog-regulators/

Testing the HOG regulators on a Single Tank

When I put together my testing plan for this regulator, I wanted to compare it to the regulators that I already know quite a bit about. Those are the Apeks and Scubapro. I’ll first start off by saying that I did not alter the intermediate pressure (IP) of the HOG first stage. On my Apeks first stages, I have tuned the IP to about 10-15 psi lower than the manufacturer suggests due to the cold water I constantly dive in.

I first put this reg on one of my single tank rigs and took it to my local quarry for a few shallow water dives in the 20 to 50 foot range. Water temps were in the 50F range. I did four dives in one day and the HOG regulator performed equally to my Apeks in terms of work of breathing (WoB) and gas delivery.

Now he goes on to praise his ScubaPro regs (piston) but in comparing to Apeks... Hog is there.

First, I'm sorry for attributing incorrect quotes to you. It's easily done when several attack at the same time with the same lines.

I don't buy the car analogy but since you went there... even Mercedes understands their brand is in trouble. They are introducing the CLA starting at $30,000 to go after the younger generation. There is change coming in this industry... I'm glad I'm not a "pro" and "vested" in the status quo.

FWIW, there's no doubt that Apeks is a good cold water reg. But they don't have any magical secrets that no one else can't reproduce. Regulator design isn't rocket science.

No worries. BTW - the primary reason my regs are Dive Rite is because they offered service kits to the public before it was fashionable. Hog is on that bandwagon and I applaud them for it.

No worries. BTW - the primary reason my regs are Dive Rite is because they offered service kits to the public before it was fashionable. Hog is on that bandwagon and I applaud them for it.

I was diving ice cold quarries 10 years ago. Everyone was all over Apeks ATX 50's because they were excellent cold water rigs that they could detune and get service kits. Fast forward 10 years and you now have Hollis, Dive Rite, Hog et al in this space with similar designs and policies. Competition is good for *US*. Blind bland loyalty is good for *them*.

I was diving ice cold quarries 10 years ago. Everyone was all over Apeks ATX 50's because they were excellent cold water rigs that they could detune and get service kits. Fast forward 10 years and you now have Hollis, Dive Rite, Hog et al in this space with similar designs and policies. Competition is good for *US*. Blind bland loyalty is good for *them*.

FYI. Said it before. I don't own a single set of Apeks. I do have a single AL Legend ( an Apeks design) that I use in singles diving. When I moved to doubles I couldn't see dropping $600 for one set of Legends when I could get the entire Hurricane regs for $700.

That said. If the price on Apeks was available at the time I bought those regs I'd be in Apeks.

FYI. Said it before. I don't own a single set of Apeks. I do have a single AL Legend that I use in singles diving. When I moved to doubles I couldn't see dropping $600 for one set of Legends when I could get the entire Hurricane regs for $700.

That said. If the price on Apeks was available at the time I bought those regs is be in Apeks.

Then I don't understand why you even jumped in to dis Hog and hold up Apeks and it's 30 year track record.

Then I don't understand why you even jumped in to dis Hog and hold up Apeks and it's 30 year track record.

Because essentially an AL Legend is an Apeks. I have experience with it and now it's a superior design. For the money it's the winner.

And I didn't dis Hog until asked why I didn't recommend them....

And manufactured by Beuchat.

I don't think that slight will work with those of us who know a thing or two about quality. Beuchat is the original inventor of the Jet Fin, the Arbalete speargun, and many other innovative gear. They make excellent scuba equipment.

I do appreciate everyone's opinions and advice, hopefully this gear comes in before my key west dive so I can post a nice review of everything in this thread. I'm so stoked for all my new gear and I have decided against the Zoop for the computer after numerous people have told me not to. Jim has me looking into the Hollis DG02.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom