My indepth review of the Hollis NeoTek Semi-Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking into this suit for Midwest quarry diving, but I'm still not sold. I am trying to decide between this suit and the Aqualung Solafx. I have pretty small wrists and a lot of suits are too big for me to get a good seal on my wrists. How tight is the NeoTek around the wrist/lower arm area?

I have the Solaflex, Works very well BUT I purchased it before Hollis had This Semi dry on the market, I glued pockets to my suit and at the time everyone thought it was a great idea. I dive the wrecks in the great lakes - Kenosha Wisconsin / Milwaukee area most- with the Solafx. It has it's limits when you get to 125 ft the neoprene compresses. At that depth the ND time is up long before getting cold. Fingers and toes get cold before any other problems. Get good gloves and boots, that will solve this problem.

SQUEEZE.. yes it can happen, it did to me once in the solafx. Took me a minute to figure it out when it did happened. at around 65 feet it was difficult to take a breath, you see.. once we do a gear check at 10-15 feet we plunge to the bottom very fast, I guess water could not get in fast enough, the suit was nearly new. Now I let a little water in at the surface or poor in some water before going over the side (only on deep dives), never a problem since ALSO.. I started to use a nylon body thing to make it easer donning & doffing the suit, this also allows water past the seals.

The Solafx is stretchy and it is tight on the wrist and ankles, if you leave your wrist watch on before donning, you will be pulling your arm back out to take the watch off.

SolaFX outer nylon does not fare well to Velcro. I have that pilling going on. coldest Water temps at depth
(120' F/W) was 41F so far and the suit performed well. My near shore diving in the jetties has taken it's toll on the suit - the zebra muscles are unforgiving, getting snagged in fishing line etc.. Today I have ordered the Hollis suit to replace the SolaFX. I really need the pockets and The Solafx will be for diving the jetties until it no longer protects me. In the Jetties we recover lost boat anchors and general junk hunting otherwise I do not come in contact with the Zebras.

Thanks to everyone for this posting - helped me to decide on my next semi-dry!

Last edited:
Is the Hollis Neotek neckdam supposed to be snug around your neck like the in the arms and legs?

There is kind of a thin neck dam that goes over the shoulders. I didn't notice much in the way of water transfer NOR did I notice that it was choking me and I have a large neck (17").

The one I tried on fit but the seal around my neck fit like a t-shirt. Didn't know how that would keep water out.

It works in conjunction with the hood. The system works well together​.

Initial take: I have received the new Hollis Semi-dry. I have not been in the water with it, rest of my gear is out for annual inspection. In a side by side to the SolaFX suit; the legs and arm material thickness is less than the solaFX but seems more dense however the SolaFX claims 8/7mm, Hollis is 8/7/6. The added back pad in the Hollis I think will be great addition. Seam seal on the outside should be big improvement, I keep burning loose threads on the SolaFX. The hood on the Hollis feels a bit small, exposes forehead to my receding hair line, this makes it easer to seal face mask but may expose sinus cavities to cold. Hollis & solaFX have good seal around the face. Hollis suit is unforgiving in the shoulder & upper arms near the point of zipper start and end locations, if you have "GUNS" you may want to try this suit to get it sized correctly. The LavaCore makes the hollis more comfortable to wear the suit for extended periods on the surface, not sure yet if it works well in the cold water.

Those are my initial comparisons of the two suits. There are all the other features you already know about like pockets, reinforcement tabs on the seams etc.. The Hollis seems built better, more durable than the SolaFX but initial fit of the two, the SolaFX is more forgiving of my odd body shape.

I am looking forward to an actual function test of the new Hollis suit. I will start with shallow dives to correct buoyancy changes, then on to more deeper / colder dives. I here the water at wreck depth this year is colder than last do to the polar vortex last winter. If this is true - I really hope this suit works. I do not want to do a recovery dive to retrieve my frozen body parts :confused: ... from the bottom of lake Michigan! I have made dives to the wrecks in a common 7mm suit with a back zipper - there is a HUGE difference once the neoprene compresses... every time you move your arms there is a fresh supply of water circulating up your spine! The Thermoclines! You know when you cross them!

I will report back soon... check your six for pointy teeth!

Sounds like a great suit, I need an upgrade really really bad, my current suit is a wet and 0.5 mm thick, it was great for when I started diving but as I went deeper and then took my cavern course, I came back numb. Note that most of my diving is in Thailand but it's still cold down there in the caves.

I'm coming back to Canada shortly and for only 2 weeks so would like to order the suit online and pick it up myself, I won't have time to try one and then exchange it for another one so it got to be the right size 1st time.
Here's attached neotek size chart with some of my numbers marked on it in red.

View attachment 184617

My weight and height make it look that either the XL and the XL short will fit. I'm somewhere in the transition zone between the XL Short and XL, I'm between 178 and 179 cm so it makes me 5' 10 1/2" and my weight is 87 kg.

I'd rather have it a bit snag on me rather than loose, but if Neotek sizes are generally a bit smaller or larger than stated, it will swing my choice is one or the other direction.

For those of you that already have the suit, was it a spot on on the chart or a bit larger/smaller?
Has it stretched in time?

Hey Shurup, did you purchase your Hollis Neo Tek already? If not, I have an XL I will sell to you for $340, I'm in WA state. I purchased it a couple of months ago and last week used it for a very short 1 minute dive in a freshwater lake only to find out I need a size Large. It's the only use it's seen and is in "like new" condition. The suit is well made and a lot of thought went into the design. The XL should be a good fit for you. I am 6' 1", 190lb.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom