My journey into tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Talked to the tech instructor who works at my LDS today. I wanted to see what I might need in the way of gear for AN/DP as I’m planning my scuba budget for the year. I came away from the conversation a happy camper. All I essentially need is a deco reg and an AL40. Current pony reg will get O2 cleaned to become deco reg.

Oh, and a lift bag if my 6ft SMB isn’t acceptable. But everything else - BP/W, doubles, regs, drysuit, Perdix/Geo 2.0 backup in gauge mode, lights - are acceptable for class.

Nice to know that the care I’ve put in my gear purchases was worth it.
I think your gear gets the ok because you thought about your purchases with an end destination in mind.

Talked to the tech instructor who works at my LDS today. I wanted to see what I might need in the way of gear for AN/DP as I’m planning my scuba budget for the year. I came away from the conversation a happy camper. All I essentially need is a deco reg and an AL40. Current pony reg will get O2 cleaned to become deco reg.
Good for you, makes life a lot easier. I would advise to ask the instructor about the AL40. Afaik AL40 is mainly used for 100% oxygen during deco. An AL80 is more versatile because it can be used for deco as well as for single tank diving. It may be a better option on the long term.

AJ:
Good for you, makes life a lot easier. I would advise to ask the instructor about the AL40. Afaik AL40 is mainly used for 100% oxygen during deco. An AL80 is more versatile because it can be used for deco as well as for single tank diving. It may be a better option on the long term.

I don’t use AL80s for single tank diving. I use steel HP80s, which work much better for me height wise (I’m 5’5”) and weight wise (can take 4lbs off my belt). Instructor said AL40. Oh, and 50% is often used here.

Ok, if the instructor says so it's ok. I like my gear to be as flexible as can be, that's why I asked. I use my Ali stages for Sidemount too.

AJ:
Ok, if the instructor says so it's ok. I like my gear to be as flexible as can be, that's why I asked. I use my Ali stages for Sidemount too.

I have no interest in AL80s. Plus, why make the class more difficult using a bigger deco cylinder if I don’t have to? My knees will also be much happier with the AL40.

I have no interest in AL80s. Plus, why make the class more difficult using a bigger deco cylinder if I don’t have to? My knees will also be much happier with the AL40.

AL80s are better for 50% mix. If you use an AL40 in the intermediate range (i.e. starting at 70), you don't get such great mileage. In the water there isn't too much of a difference swimming an 80 versus a 40.

AL80s are better for 50% mix. If you use an AL40 in the intermediate range (i.e. starting at 70), you don't get such great mileage. In the water there isn't too much of a difference swimming an 80 versus a 40.

my suggestion is to have one 40 and one 80 which are permanently marked. Depending on the dive you will end up using either 50 or 100 due to deco efficiency and bailout calculation, and having a bottle that only ever gets one mix in it eliminates a potential source of confusion.

But if I were starting out I'd probably just get one 40.

Use the 40 until you start carrying two deco gases. Then get an 80 to dedicate to 50%, and dedicate the 40 to O2. Permanently mark them once you have more than one deco bottle.

As stated above, an AL80 with 50% gives more gas for a deco at 21m/70ft. AL40 is fine from 6m/18ft. for most divers, even if you're an air hog. But I do understand why you prefer the AL40. My back tells me it does not like it very much when I'am all geared up ready for the giant stride with my D12, AL80 and DPV :(

I think it just needs to be asked, especially since it's been a few days, but have you ever considered a GUE Fundamentals class?

:)

Sorry..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom